• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AoO QUestion

sam500

First Post
If you have a 15' reach and combat reflexes and a medium creature charges you, do you get 2 AoO on him or just one?
Also, if you have reach and a medium creature runs around you figure without tumbling in a circle moving through your threatened squares the whole time, do you get a buttload of AoO on him or just one?
A fairly basic question I guess, but a very important one. I never got this straight.
Cheers for your help guys and gals.
Sammy

The_Ditto

First Post
sam500 said:
If you have a 15' reach and combat reflexes and a medium creature charges you, do you get 2 AoO on him or just one?
Also, if you have reach and a medium creature runs around you figure without tumbling in a circle moving through your threatened squares the whole time, do you get a buttload of AoO on him or just one?
A fairly basic question I guess, but a very important one. I never got this straight.
Cheers for your help guys and gals.
Sammy

1 for the movement ...
none for the charge ..

A parallel example to show what's happening.

You have a 5' reach (Medium human wielding a Long sword).
An Orc charges you ..

You get no AoO.

You have a 10' reach (Medium human wielding a Long Spear).
An orc charges you ..

You get 1 AoO as he leaves your threatened area ...

Even if the orc doesn't charge, and just moves up to you ...
you still get the AoO if/when he leaves your threatened area ...
(ie moving from 10ft away to 5 ft away ...)

If you have 15 ft reach ... assume natural reach .. so you threaten at 5ft, 10ft and 15ft ...
the same Orc moves towards you, starting 20 ft away ...
He provokes 1 AoO - which you can choose to take at any square you threaten in which he tries to leave ...
(might make a difference for flanking, etc ...)
But although you may have 2 or 3 options to take the AoO, you still only get 1 AoO ... Combat Reflexes, or not ...

Cheers!!

(now, having the feat Hold the Line ... that changes things ... ;) )

Remove ads