Aquaman (Spoilers!)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yes, I did recall that, and in at least one interview the scene was referred to as a homage to Topo. Is that really what you want to do when you're trying to elevate the butt of jokes in the DC universe to his later badass status? Why didn't they put Krypto, Beppo, and Comet in the Superman movies?

I for one really appreciate the fan service reflected in putting comic book easter eggs like Topo into a scene. Its a quick nod that affects nothing and having him play drums rather than a whole lot of random instruments keeps it cool enough for the new bad ass tone. Really we've got a world of armoured sharks, sea dragons, dinosaurs and kraken-esque monsters; octopus drummers seem a minor weirdness.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Really we've got a world of armoured sharks, sea dragons, dinosaurs and kraken-esque monsters; octopus drummers seem a minor weirdness.

Well, they don’t have lasers on their frickin’ heads, but...
tenor.gif

Ryujin

Legend
I for one really appreciate the fan service reflected in putting comic book easter eggs like Topo into a scene. Its a quick nod that affects nothing and having him play drums rather than a whole lot of random instruments keeps it cool enough for the new bad ass tone. Really we've got a world of armoured sharks, sea dragons, dinosaurs and kraken-esque monsters; octopus drummers seem a minor weirdness.

There's good fan service and there's bad fan service. To me, that's the bad kind and there's been quite a bit of that in the last few years.

Mercurius

Legend
I honestly don't get why people are so down on some of the DC movies. I recently re-watched Man of Steel and Batman v Superman and enjoyed both. My biggest complaint is probably that Cavill is good as Superman but not so good as Clark Kent; maybe Christopher Reeve's goofy-but-charming performance was just imprinted on me from my youth. But I liked the epic quality of both films, even if they could have used some light moments, and both were even better a second viewing around, in my opinion. I also begrudgingly admit that Ben Affleck did a pretty good job as Batman.

Suicide Squad was bad - but I'm not a fan of the whole "evil is cool" trope popularized by the grimdark movement (aka extended adolescent angst). Justice League was rather disappointing, mainly due to a lame villain and the fact it felt paper-thin as a whole; plus they were trying too hard to be MCU. WW was probably the best of the bunch, but also maybe a tad overrated.

Mercurius

Legend
OK, saw it today. If I wrote a review the tagline would be "Flawed but Fin, I mean Fun." I'd definitely rank it ahead of JL and SS, not sure about the rest. Definitely not as well-honed as WW and there was some truly goofy, amateurish stuff that shows the DCEU has a long way to go before it catches up with Marvel. Part of the problem is the villains: they are just week, and this was no exception. I like Patrick Wilson as an actor, but he was mis-cast, in my opinion. And the guy who played Manta was just weak - and the scenes in the suit were just goofy and not in a good comic book way.

But there were some nice touches, including the touching romance between mom and dad and the Lucas-esque sets. I think it was roughly equal to the first couple Thor movies, which were among the weakest of MCU.

I loved it. But I'm an Aquaman fanboy. Still, I adore that they not only had him talk to fish (complete with little circles going vee vee vee) and had him in orange and green but also managed to make both absolutely badass.
They took the joke superhero with his joke power and his joke look, did it straight AND MADE IT ALL WORK.

Plus, Mera. I loved Mera. Mera has never really been a sidekick to Aquaman or the damsel. She's always been more of the partner than solely the romantic love interest. And they did that. She had her own crowning moments of awesome (three or four in fact) and was never rescued by Aquaman.

Remove ads