• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen, w/ Boons! - OOC

renau1g

First Post
Fangor the Fierce said:
Trent can easily lend his last charge of the healing belt to Hightower, as he's the front rank guy, and is going to need it. Plus, you can take one of the amulet's, considering your ac is going to be the most obvious one that would need a little assistance. Rosa can have two healing potions from the stash. The funds from the loot can easily be used to hire this scout for the remaining days that it will take to clear out the Temple.

That leaves all the weapon gear, arrows and poison. Any takers? Hightower might be able to use those larger javelins, which would be nice. I might be able to use one of the smaller bows, since it has a STR bonus, it will offset the damage output, and give me one more expendable option for further than 30' ranged attacks.

Then we need to make sure the scout's outfitted with his own stuff. What are your thoughts on him keeping the healing belt, or letting us keep it instead? Anyone have some ideas?

So far, Fenwick can't use anything. Not that I mind, but hopefully we'll find something up ahead for him. Who took the second Amulet? Also, for the potion's Rosa takes 2, that leaves 2. 1 to Hightower, 1 to Trent? Fenwick can teleport away if he's in trouble.

Arabesu

Shayuri said:
Would you be all right with the Dragonwrought feat? Probably draconic wings too, to go along with the 'blessed by Siberys' idea.

There's also a thing in Races of the Dragon called a Rite of Draconic Passage...or something like that. Basically you can 'buy' a 1st level sorceror spell as a 1/day spell like, but only one. Would you allow that?

I don't actually own either Races of the Dragon or Dragon magic. A friend does, but I won't have access to the book until Sunday. So, try to make a guess if you think its overpowered or broken and go ahead and build your character if you think its okay.

How does the Dragonwrought feat work?

Draconic wings provides what, a poor maneuverability fly speed? What are the prereqs? Normally, I'd be relucant to okay flight at will until about 5th level when many characters and arcetypes get it. I know that there are some that get it a certain number of times a days (shifters) or at will but with an ECL+1 race (hengeiokai) so if its something that you only qualify for at 3rd or higher character level and doesn't have terrific speed or maneuverability then it should be okay.

As to the Rite of Draconic passage, at first glance it seems okay, no more over or under powered than a (abherent) dragonmark.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
renau1g said:
So far, Fenwick can't use anything. Not that I mind, but hopefully we'll find something up ahead for him. Who took the second Amulet? Also, for the potion's Rosa takes 2, that leaves 2. 1 to Hightower, 1 to Trent? Fenwick can teleport away if he's in trouble.

I have a healing belt, which is better than those potions, IMO, as it's only a single action to get healed, where the potion is a move action to grab, and standard action to drink. Rosa can keep the two, Hightower can keep one, and Fenwick can keep the other.

Hightower should take one of the amulets, as he's the one most needing it. As for the other amulet, it's up for grabs. I have a pretty decent AC right now, so if someone else needs it, take it.

Items/weapons are all not sized right for me, but that might be ok to try out them in the 'worst case scenario' option, for when we need to rain arrows on distant foes for a few rounds. Arabesu, what's your take on the option for sized weapons being used as alternative weapons for different sizes? Such as: Dagger for medium sized humanoid can be doubled as short sword for Small sized humanoid. If that's an option, then small shortswords might be good daggers for us medium sized humanoids. Smaller damage output, but trade off is the non reduced attack modifier.

There are only a few weapons that fall into this option of changing from one type to another, but it's worth asking about.

Shayuri

First Post
Ah! I see. Here is the skinny.

Dragonwrought is available only to kobolds, and only at 1st level. It represents a sort of genetic throwback that brings a kobold some draconic features. In and of itself, it causes the kobold to become a "dragon" rather than a humanoid, becomes immune to magic sleep and paralysis, and gives them low light vision in addition to the darkvision they already possess. It also allows them to take Draconic Wings at 3rd level, instead of 1st as is usually required.

Draconic Wings, normally only available to creatures of the dragon type, or with the Dragonborn subtype (which there are various ways to gain), give a +10 to Jump checks and allow the character to glide at a speed of 30 with average manueverability. Gliding is like flying, but you can't gain altitude without some outside force acting (thermals, eg) and MUST lose altitude. At 6 hit dice, you gain a limited flight...only for a number of rounds equal to your Con bonus. Exceed that...and there's a limit as to the total time flying per day too...and you get fatigued. You can switch between flying and gliding though, to extend time in the air. At 12 HD you can actually fly fly.

I think you may need another feat at 6 HD or above too...Improved Draconic Wings or something.

The Rite of Passage is distinct from a dragonmark in that it doesn't cost a feat. It costs money. And not a whole LOT of it either. Don't have it here to quote from right now though. I'll give a paraphrase of it when I get to the book.

Arabesu

As long as the Rite of Passage is on the order of 400 gp or more then it seems ok. An eternal wand is what, 800, and gives two uses per day? So I'm just ballparking.

The other feats seem fair. I like the wings; a feat chain to get good flight but you have to invest in the gliding feat first and then at around the right time the druid is shapeshifting into flying creatures your PC is flying as well. Seems fair for a 2-feet chain. Go for it. So the dragonwraught and two wing-feats pretty much eat up your 1st, 3rd, and 6th level feats. I have opened up the floor for a single flaw/feat per character, so that can get you one more if you need it.

I haven't been a stickler for making the flaw MATTER, as per the UA rules; i.e. I should make those with shaky fingers actually have to make a ranged attack occasionally otherwise they basically get a free feat. I will probably try to come up with some incentive or compelling reason to make these flaws impact the game more but have been lazy.

renau1g

First Post
note: Arabesu, I just threw up my interest check for Red hand of Doom, I didn't put Psionics there because I only have the expanded Psionics book and am not too familiar with it, but I trust that you won't pull out any gamebreakers... ;) Anyways... it's up.

Arabesu

I will try to get back to posting tonight I tried to get on the boards Sat/Sun but couldn't because of the hacking, I reckon. I would post today but I want to review book content and don't have it at work.

Vertexx69

First Post
Yah the cover thing sucks, Hightower's next feat is going to be "precise swing" so he can regain his AoO's even if the target has cover. (and the target will think it's safe too :) just like with mageslayer!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads