• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Artillery (Paragon Path)

Lakoda

First Post
Forked from: Oppertunistic Support

amadeus-darkened said:
Using this as the utility for a Paragon Path fits a lot better and makes for an interesting choice for ranged characters. Especially the poor warlock who rides into Paragon Town with a really poor selection of paths to choose.

So here is a first pass at PP for an ranged arcane character.

--------------------------
edits
- formatting
- cover fire now requires ranged
- knock off guard no longer provokes OA from allies adjacent to the target
- cleaned up wording of artillery challenge, added once per round restriction, and changed sustain line to standard with repeating attack
-added implement clause to artillery attack

Arcane Artillery
Bring the rain!

Prerequisites:
None

You strike often and you strike hard, all from beyond your opponents reach. You assist your allies through cover fire that keeps your enemies on their toes, never letting them build a suitable defense against your front line.

Arcane Artillery Path Features

Threatening Shot (11th Level): When you make a Ranged attack, you do not provoke an Opportunity Attack from one adjacent target of your choice.

Artillery Attack (11th Level): Choose Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as the ability score you use when making attack and damage rolls with your Arcane Artillery powers. Once it is made, this choice cannot be changed or retrained. Additionally, you may use any Arcane implement, which you are proficient with, with the Arcane Artillery attack powers.

Cover Fire (11th Level): When you spend an Action Point to make a Ranged attack, one ally adjacent to the target can shift half their speed (minimum 1) or make a Basic Attack against the target.

Guided Shot (16th Level):
You do not suffer any penalties to Ranged attacks for cover or concealment if the target is adjacent to an ally. You must be able to see the ally and they must be able to see the target.

Critical Support (16th Level):
When you use your Opportunistic Support utility and the triggering opportunity attack scores a critical hit you may use any single target Ranged At-will or Encounter power you know as a Ranged Basic Attack. Doing so still counts as a use of that power,

Arcane Artillery Spells

Knock Off Guard Arcane Artillery Attack 11
Repeated attacks from a far knock the enemy of it's guard.

Encounter * Arcane, Implement
Standard
Action Ranged 10
Target:
One creature
Attack:
Strength vs. Reflex or Constitution vs. Reflex or Dexterity vs. Reflex or Intelligence vs. Reflex or Wisdom vs. Reflex or Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d10 + Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma damage and the target is stunned until the end of your next turn.
Special: You may use this power in place of a Ranged Basic Attack, doing so still counts as a use of this power.

Opportunistic Support Arcane Artillery Utility 12
A quick blow against an enemy caught unawares.
At-Will * Arcane
Immediate Reaction Close burst 10
Trigger:
An ally within range successfully hits with an Opportunity Attack.
Effect: You may make a Ranged Basic Attack, as a Free Action, against the target your triggering ally hit with their Opportunity Attack.

Artillery Challenge Arcane Artillery Attack 20
A continued and heavy bombardment earns the enemy's attention.
Daily * Arcane, Implement
Standard Action Ranged
Target:
One creature
Attack: Strength vs. Will or Constitution vs. Will or Dexterity vs. Will or Intelligence vs. Will or Wisdom vs. Will or Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 2d10 + Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier damage and you mark the target until the end of your next turn.
Effect:
If the target marked by this power is within 20 squares and makes an attack against an ally that does not include you as the target you may make a Range Basic Attack against it as an Immediate Interrupt. You may only make one such attack once per round.
Sustain Standard: You repeat the attack against the same target.

Last edited:

Take this with a grain of salt that I haven't yet run a game in the Paragon tier....

But Knock Off Guard can be very silly powerful. I once ruled a fumbled attack drew Opportunity attacks and learned the hard way that BBEG's don't last long in a hailstorm of attacks...
I would prefer the attack granting a penalty to the targets defenses rather than a 'pummel him!' approach.

With Artillery Challenge.. I like the concept but would consider changing it slightly to say something like:

Effect: While the target is marked by this power and makes an attack against an ally, you may make a basic ranged attack as an immediate interupt. You may only make one such attack per turn.

Sustain Standard: You repeat the attack against the same target, dealing 2D10 and marking the target as above.

I am not sure how much this ups the power rating in comparison to the other leve 20 attacks, but it means you have to continue hitting the target in order to maintain the benefit of the 'free' attacks.

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Any particular reason the PP doesn't require you to be a member of an arcane class? Looks like there's nothing stopping a ranger from taking this.

Lakoda

First Post
I would prefer the attack granting a penalty to the targets defenses rather than a 'pummel him!' approach.
Even though it is an encounter ability it really could be abused, I changed the stunned until end of next turn.

Sustain Standard: You repeat the attack against the same target, dealing 2D10 and marking the target as above.
I really like this, it fits with the concept in my head more. I also added the restriction of once per round (I brain farted that, it should have been there).

Any particular reason the PP doesn't require you to be a member of an arcane class? Looks like there's nothing stopping a ranger from taking this.
As it stands, none. I'm going back and forth over if it should or not.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads