Arcane Magic, Divine Magic, Nature Magic and Psionics are too much alike.

apoptosis

First Post
I agree and changed the way magic works (though i only really subdivided it into three realms, but were divisions within that realm and it was for a lower magic game).

Wizards were kinda as they are with a spell slot system, except it takes 30 minutes/ spell level to memorize a spell (though they got more magic feats). Their spells are constructs of law and chaos (and they dont have any power/detection over good/evil). Learning wizardry is tough on the wizards mind/body and causes ability loss

Sorcerers use a fatigue system (use grim'n'gritty so there are much fewer hitpoints). But sorcerers made pacts with alien/infernal/chaotic beings in the distant past and those pacts still hold sway with their progeny. The tapping of powers from these different planes/dimensions cause backlash. They take fatique damage and possibility of worse (use the chaos magic tables). Sorcerers are trained unlike in normal D&D, but the magic is all blood based. They can cast far fewere spells per day than the D&D sorcerer but know more spells.

Psions are called mages and is an art developed by the elves asl it takes a very long time to learn.use the psionic tables except that the powers cost a lot more (normal cost-1 minimum of 1 * the powers level). they know more psionic powers than the normal psion. Is supposed to be a subtle magic (displays are different) but not a flashy powerful one.

Clerics have more divine feats/level. They can cast a very limited number of domain spells per day for free but all other spells have a chance of causing temporary ability damage (wisdom). As they contact their gods for their powers they tend to lose themselves in the godpower (as shown by loss of wisdom). They do have access to most all the normal cleric spells with no need for memorization. This is to supposed to emulate the finickiness and miracles of the deities.

Druids are similar to Clerics but they are part of the old religion and the old powers of the Wylde. They have limited domain casting based off their astrological sign (from R&R), and they have a better chance of accessing the Primal religion than Clerics do.

That is a summary of my world. I guess it works, players like it more and suits the low-magic scenario in my world.

Last edited:

Remove ads