• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Magic, Divine Magic, Nature Magic and Psionics are too much alike.

Voneth

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
Mystery and chaotic magic may work fine in a novel or story, but in a game the players have to understand the rules, which either removes the mystery, or the mystery makes it unplayable.

I agree. The game where my players were most awed by magic was Pendragon, which had no spellcasting classes and magic was in the GM's bailywick alone.

Heck, I have seen how this happens to "villian" races all the time in several rpgs.

The Drow used to be scary, now they are cool! Hmmm. And White Wolf has done it time and time again, introduced a scary villian and then a year later lets you play the villian as another "misunderstood" race and then *poof* the awe factor is gone, which sucks for a horror game.

Exalted is probably the only game where they have done this practice and it actualy worked. Then again, Exalted is not horror.

Roman

First Post
Thank you for all your contributions. :)

It is not as if the problem is unsolvable - for example back in 2E AD&D I ran a campaign with radically altered magic, where each 'concept of magic' was different, complete with different mechanics and disadvantages for using each.

In this case, though, I was suggesting something less radical. Perhaps something like eliminating the charm school of arcane magic, etc. so that ONLY psionicists can affect the mind directly... This would have kept the base mechanics the same (though, I am of the opinion that mechanics can dramatically alter flavour - much more than is commonly acknowledged), but each type of magic/psionics would have more unique effects.

Olive

Explorer
Voneth said:
On this part, I disagree that DnD psionics are not as dull as the DnD slot system. The way that several 3rd party support products lets a player store, transfer and maniupulate power points, gives the "feeling" that there is an energy that one can play with and do exciting, expermental things with.

i'm still not sure why casting at will or using point based systems are more "exciting" or filled with energy than casting a freakin fireball...

Voneth

First Post
Olive said:

i'm still not sure why casting at will or using point based systems are more "exciting" or filled with energy than casting a freakin fireball...

Casting at will vs. fireball? I agre with you on that one, not much difference for me.

On the psi points? Hmmm. Well, getting to use a feat just because I still have psi point, but I don't spend them doesn't do much for me either, on the other hand ....

I get to save up points in "batteries" in the PsiHB, but with the 3rd party support (and WotC website), I can give these points to other players or even share powers with them. I can also use the points to fuel things that can use powers that I don't have.

For my personal taste, it's like the biggest irony.

Here the slot system is supposed to represent the maniuplation of external energy, yet the magi is closed system. He can't "trade" or "borrow" any energy from another source or from another caster. And with the right supplement, a psion can contribute to another psions efforts in more than one way.

ced1106

Explorer
Agreed. IIRC, AEG's Magic tries to make magic more differentiated. EQ RPG has its mana pool (although all casters still use it) and its bard spells are cast differently than other spellcasters.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Dark Psion

First Post
I use a four power set up as well and it is simular to the four element set up.

Nature magic opposes Arcane magic (One works with nature, the other seeks to control nature)
Psionics opposes Divine magic (One is from faith within, the other from faith without)

Rangers, Bards, Shaman and Witches overlap these four in a para-elemental way.

This also solved the magic vs psionics interaction, by ruling that Dispel /Negation attempts are at +10DC vs adjoining powers and don't work against opposing powers.

The other key is in the descriptions of the powers by the DM, Its up to the DM to give each a "different" feel.

Kenshiro

First Post
Alright folks, here're my humble opinions for making supernatural powers be a little more distinct and different:

Arcane Magic: As my esteemed colleague Voneth mentioned, Exalted provides an interesting venue for Arcane Magic; make it big and powerful. But make it hard to get and somewhat slow. Let players take the time to cast it, but give them pluses for taking the time.

Divine Magic: As above, except t's even HARDER. Sacrifices, personal or otherwise. Prayer, but not jus any prayer. We're talking flagellation style here. If God's going to give you some of His/Her power, you better make sure you earn it. Also, the effects: Big and nasty.

Nature Magic: Far more subtle, but let's make it longer lasting. Also, shamanistic. Make the caster assume some facet of nature, give up some of their humanity for gaining the ability and power to control nature.

Psionics: If magic is slower, than psionics should be the full-auto version of supernatural powers. Make them fast, just like the speed of thought. But don't make psionics powerful (which I always thought was a mistake in a lot of games.) Let them start with a lot of small wimpy powers and build them slowly to Scanners or Akira proportions. (look at Trinity for inspiration)

Bugbear

First Post
Dark Psion said:
I use a four power set up as well and it is simular to the four element set up.

Nature magic opposes Arcane magic (One works with nature, the other seeks to control nature)
Psionics opposes Divine magic (One is from faith within, the other from faith without)

Rangers, Bards, Shaman and Witches overlap these four in a para-elemental way.

This also solved the magic vs psionics interaction, by ruling that Dispel /Negation attempts are at +10DC vs adjoining powers and don't work against opposing powers.

The other key is in the descriptions of the powers by the DM, Its up to the DM to give each a "different" feel.

I like this idea, consider it stolen

Remove ads