Arcane strike feat

Shazman

Banned
Banned
It does say in the feat description that the bonus to hit from the feat cannot exceed the character's BAB, but there's no cap on the damage. I think it's mainly for multi-class spellcasters. It's in the sidebar titled feats for hunters(rangers) so I guess it's tentatively meant for ranger/wizards. It would be particularly useful for fighter/wizards, eldritch knights, bladesingers, asassains, and even bards.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
kreynolds said:
It just says "melee or ranged attack". It isn't very specific.

The reason why I ask is because of spells like scorching ray. Double dipping would rock.

Mourn said:
The PHB has melee attack and melee touch attack listed separately. I believe it only applies to normal attacks, not touch attacks.

Two things:

1) Which PHB?

2) Tome and Blood implicitly said that touch attacks are a type of normal attack. Afterall, they can crit, be affected by Weapon Focus and use BAB.

The Little Raven

First Post
ConcreteBuddha said:
The reason why I ask is because of spells like scorching ray. Double dipping would rock.
1) Which PHB?

The 3.5 PHB, which supersedes anything that Tome and Blood says.

2) Tome and Blood implicitly said that touch attacks are a type of normal attack. Afterall, they can crit, be affected by Weapon Focus and use BAB.

As stated, the 3.5 PHB is more recent and is more important that Tome and Blood.

Yes, they use BAB and Weapon Focus, but if the effect deals no damage, like a simple touch attack, then you can't add any bonus damage, since there is no damage to enhance.

Michael Tree

First Post
kreynolds said:
I think its a pretty cool feat. A 20th-level caster can get some good use out of it with a 5th-level spell. It also gives fighter/wizards some really slick options. But picture a rogue/wizard or rogue/sorcerer with this sucker. Sacrificing a spell along with making a sneak attack. Ouch. I love it. :D
I love it too, especially for arcane tricksters, or fighter/sorcerers with two-handed weapons and power attack.

Norfleet

First Post
What kind of damage type is the enhancement? Is the damage type of the enhancement the same as the damage type of the attack dealing the damage? Can it affect the non-crittable? Does it work within an antimagic area? Does SR affect it?

Sanackranib

First Post
Neowolf said:
Seems a bit iffy to me. While the character has to give up some spells to use it, seems like it would let high level casters dish out quite a bit of attack damage, which should be reserved for fighters IMO. Do you have to commit the spell levels before rolling the attack? That might make it a bit more balanced.

I concur with this asscessment

Cyraneth

First Post
Neowolf said:
Seems a bit iffy to me. While the character has to give up some spells to use it, seems like it would let high level casters dish out quite a bit of attack damage, which should be reserved for fighters IMO. Do you have to commit the spell levels before rolling the attack? That might make it a bit more balanced.
Why "reserved for fighters"? Other classes aren't allowed to deal much damage?

Anyway, I like the feat. It is a brilliant addition to any caster/warriors repertiore, and even caster/rogues clearly benefit from it. While the bonuses are high, the cost for using it is too. And if a high-level sorcerer feels like spending a potential time stop to boost his attack, +9d6 is entirely okay. Compared to the 10d6 his 3rd-level spell in itself could have caused, anyway.

- Cyraneth

Remove ads