• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archmage arcane fire

Korgan26

First Post
Arcane Fire (Su): The archmage gains the ability to change arcane spell energy into arcane fire, manifesting it as a bolt of raw magical energy. The bolt is a ranged touch attack with long range (400 feet + 40 feet/level of archmage) that deals 1d6 points of damage per class level of the archmage plus 1d6 points of damage per level of the spell used to create the effect. This ability costs one 9th-level spell slot.

Per DMG

My question is on the per class level of the archmage part. So a 17 Wiz/ 3 Arch who used a 9th level spell, would they do 12d6 or 29d6?

thanks
Z

glass

(he, him)
Korgan26 said:
My question is on the per class level of the archmage part. So a 17 Wiz/ 3 Arch who used a 9th level spell, would they do 12d6 or 29d6?

12d6. Their class level is 3.

glass.

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
interwyrm said:
is that ability worth the spell slot it takes to get it?

The ability to convert any of your spell slots into (archmage level + spell level)d6 worth of unstoppable(no SR, no Energy Resistance) touch attack damage? You bet.

TheGogmagog

First Post
interwyrm said:
is that ability worth the spell slot it takes to get it?
At 3rd level it doesn't look like it. But consider a 10th level dumping a 1st level spell. 11d6 with a 1st level slot... Compare to Magic Missile. 3rd level slot 13d6... compare to Fireball. Both have more damage, only affect one target, and probably have no save in exchange for the ranged touch attack.

It might not always be the best tactical decision, but it seems better to me especially after a few levels. It would also be quite effective if you are a prepared caster and don't have appropriate offensive spells prepared.

Can anyone confirm the save and Spell Resistance on the ability? Ah, posted to slow, no SR seals the deal, definitely worth it.

Corsair

First Post
IcyCool said:
The ability to convert any of your spell slots into (archmage level + spell level)d6 worth of unstoppable(no SR, no Energy Resistance) touch attack damage? You bet.

I can think of a lot better things to do with my 9th level spell slots. I'd never dump a Shapechange or Gate just to do a paltry 12d6 damage to one target.

IcyCool

First Post
Corsair said:
I can think of a lot better things to do with my 9th level spell slots. I'd never dump a Shapechange or Gate just to do a paltry 12d6 damage to one target.

You have other spell slots, you know. ;)

Edit - Oh no! An Iron Golem! Quick, kill it! (Archmage blasts the hell out of it while flying with most of his 0-level and 1-level spells).

Remove ads