• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archmage arcane fire

Corsair

First Post
IcyCool said:
You have other spell slots, you know. ;)

Edit - Oh no! An Iron Golem! Quick, kill it! (Archmage blasts the hell out of it while flying with most of his 0-level and 1-level spells).

Actually as a DM, I don't play golem immunities that way. It's a house rule, so I suppose it's not as relevant to the discussion.

Bad Paper said:
...yeah, but i bet you'd dump a Read Magic to get 5d6...

Sure. After I've already used all my 5d4+1 Magic Missiles, 12d6 scorching rays, 10d6 fireballs, etc. Not only is it less effective than a normal spell of its level at dealing damage (exceptions: 0th level, tied at first with MM), but 75% I'd say that dealing straight damage with your spells is the least effective use. Now is it worthless? No of course not. The question is whether or not its worth permanently losing that slot. I suppose it does give you a flyswatter to use on mooks so you don't waste your better spells, but a wand of magic missiles can accomplish the same thing.

IcyCool

First Post
Corsair said:
Actually as a DM, I don't play golem immunities that way. It's a house rule, so I suppose it's not as relevant to the discussion.

With that house rule, I might not think it was worth it either. Do you house rule spell resistance differently as well?

Corsair said:
Sure. After I've already used all my 5d4+1 Magic Missiles, 12d6 scorching rays, 10d6 fireballs, etc.

All of those are subject to spell resistance and/or energy resistance.

Endur

First Post
interwyrm said:
is that ability worth the spell slot it takes to get it?

Its the best ability the Archmage gets. Its absolutely worth it. Unless you already have Spellfire.

No SR, No Save, No Energy Resistance, No concentration check (its supernatural not spell-like), no spell immunities.

Its the best weapon the Archmage has when he faces an opponent that is immune to magic or if he is in a combat where he can't use his somatic or verbal component spells or if he is worried about concentration.

Merlion

First Post
but 75% I'd say that dealing straight damage with your spells is the least effective use

Generally this is true (sadly) due to the prevelence of Spell Resistance and/or Energy Resistance.

But Arcane Fire isnt subject to either one.

I also love the ability because its one of the only effects left in D&D that just uses magical energy with nothing else tacked on. Not [Force] (not that I dont love force) or any other energy type...just pure magic.

Remove ads