• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are 4e feats far less exciting than 3.x?

JVisgaitis

Explorer
One thing I don't care for with 4e are the feats. Feats were probably the greatest thing ever devised for 3.x, but in 4e I find the choices to be kinda uninspiring. I get the whole shift to more of a powers-based system, but whenever I level my Elf Ranger and I need to pick a new feat, I'm like meh.

I was really hoping the void would be filled by Martial Power, but the pre-reqs in there are kinda ridiculous. OK, I need to be an Eladrin male that's born on a Tuesday who has a glowing green mohawk and uses a kukri? I think there are like 5 feats my character could choose from. I'm ridiculously exaggerating this, but shouldn't such detailed customization be saved for like Elven Power?

Anyone else find 4e feats lacking?

One thing I don't care for with 4e are the feats. Feats were probably the greatest thing ever devised for 3.x, but in 4e I find the choices to be kinda uninspiring. I get the whole shift to more of a powers-based system, but whenever I level my Elf Ranger and I need to pick a new feat, I'm like meh.

I was really hoping the void would be filled by Martial Power, but the pre-reqs in there are kinda ridiculous. OK, I need to be an Eladrin male that's born on a Tuesday who has a glowing green mohawk and uses a kukri? I think there are like 5 feats my character could choose from. I'm ridiculously exaggerating this, but shouldn't such detailed customization be saved for like Elven Power?

Anyone else find 4e feats lacking?

The exciting things feats used to do are now powers or built into powers. Feats are now minor tweaking and customization. This has the advantage of not having to sacrifice minor tweaking and customization for class features you should already have.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
The exciting things feats used to do are now powers or built into powers. Feats are now minor tweaking and customization. This has the advantage of not having to sacrifice minor tweaking and customization for class features you should already have.

I don't know, there is a lot of cool stuff in Martial Power. It's just all class and race specific and it's not all customization for class features. I see what you are saying, but I think they could have easily made the general feat list more appealing. I guess I should say that I'm pretty happy with the Paragon and Epic Tiers. It's mostly Heroic that I have issues with.

frankthedm

First Post
They should beless exciting! Feats are no longer the source of most cool tricks. Those are built into the classes that are supposed to have them. This way the rogue can use his Dex with the Striker powers, but that rogue's OA's are not as good, after all he is not a defender!

Lacyon

First Post
It depends on what you take as the typical 3.x feat. Nothing in 4E compares to 3E Power Attack. Skill Focus has about the same "wow factor" in either edition.

My experience with 3E is that the boring feats are plentiful, they're just rarely taken in play. I'd be much more likely to take a Skill Focus or similar in 4E because the tradeoff is that much less.

If I were comparing only 3.5 PHB to 4E PHB, I'd say that any feat that isn't a hidden class feature is as unexciting as the average 4E feat.

Rechan

Adventurer
I feel about 4e feats the same way I feel about 3e feats: too fiddly, situational, too many requirements, not exciting and too class specific.

Just like in 3e, when I make characters in 4e, I am unhappy about the feat selection.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads