• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are 4e feats far less exciting than 3.x?

Dedekind

Explorer
I like the purpose of 4e feats... but it is frustrating to keep track of small bonuses all the time in combat. To put it another way, if I am considering 3 feats for my character, I'll probably choose the one that is easiest to remember to apply.

Gort

Explorer
It's a bit of an irrelevent question, really - 90% of the feats in 4e are conversions of feats from 3e, so you can't really say which are more "exciting".

There are a number of feats that are total no-brainers for every class (for instance, "backstabber" for rogues) but hopefully as more splatbooks come out you'll have a wide choice of no-brainer feats to choose from.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I like the 4e feats and I feel that they do what they are intended to do (customization); my biggest problem with them is that I feel that there is not enough of them given their situational nature, especially at the paragon and epic tiers. Paradoxically, since our DM skipped us past 5th level to 6th last night (he wants to get us to paragon tier for story reasons and we missed a few sessions because of various sicknesses), and I'm kind of torn about what feat to take next (I've narrowed it down to Nimble Blade, Moon Elf Resilience, or one of the Power Swap feats).

Wik

First Post
See, I like 4e feats simply because they're a bit less powerful and "Interesting". There's a lot of room with them to customize how you see your character - you take powers to be tactically powerful, while you can "blow" feats solely in the interests of character concept without killing your effectiveness.

While I haven't PLAYED 4e yet (but I have DMed a lot), I have made a few characters, and each time I love using feats to really refine what I've got. A human wizard at first level who took Jack of All trades and leather armour proficiency, to be a sort of wandering rogue (a traditional character choice of mine). A rather paranoid tiefling warlock with Alertness. And so on.

The point is, while Jack of All trades and leather armour aren't making my mage being better at being a mage, they do serve to reinforce my view of the character.

To put it another way. Player 1 makes a rogue, and player 2 makes a rogue. Player 1 wants to be a con artist-type, and so makes a human and gives his rogue Skill Training (Diplomacy) and Skill Focus (Bluff). Player 2 wants to be a "typical" backstabbing rogue, and gives HER human rogue two feats aimed towards rogues - Backstabber and Improved Initiative (for more first strikes).

While player 2 has taken much smarter feat choices, her rewards aren't that huge - an extra 2 points of damage on average for a sneak attack, and a +4 initiative bonus (making her a bit more likely to deal sneak attack damage on the first round of combat). Player 1 isn't being unfairly penalized for imagining a character concept.

While I hate to get into edition wars, here, when a character decided to give his character feats that didn't directly tie into his class role, there was definitely a penalty that was paid. If you give your fighter power attack, and I gave my fighter mounted combat to fit in with his knightly image, well... I may be playing the character I've seen in my head, but fairly soon, I'm going to regret that choice.

I guess I'm saying that 4e feats help you break out of your class a bit and flesh out your character... and because of this, I'm glad they don't confer huge bonuses.

P.S. The "+1 vs. opportunity attack" feats are a pain in the butt. I think there needs to be an "AC vs. Opportunity attack" box on the character sheet for those to be remembered.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads