• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are online petitions worth anything?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
It seems that online petitions are all the rage nowadays to get a point across or to support or counter something. But are they really worth anything at all? Do they prove anything at all?

Bullgrit

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They're another form of slacktivism, and while they can - on rare occasions - make a difference, I'd wager that 99.999% don't. But I guess for the rare occasion when it matters and it does work, it's worth it.

Jhaelen

First Post
Nope. Online petitions are useless, unless they're only a small part of a larger effort to petition for something. And even then you would probably have had the same effect without it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Are traditional petitions worth anything?

My understanding is that, in local government issues, they often can be - they can serve as a form of unofficial referendum, informing the elected officials of how some number of people in an area feel on a topic.

On a national level, I don't expect traditional petitions mean much.

Online petitions, requiring even less effort (as Morrus called them - "slacktivism"), should mean even less. "Click 'Like' to show you care!" is such a low bar of entry that it doesn't show any real dedication to the ideal in question.

Janx

Hero
They're another form of slacktivism, and while they can - on rare occasions - make a difference, I'd wager that 99.999% don't. But I guess for the rare occasion when it matters and it does work, it's worth it.

Slacktivisim.

I remember the days when people who felt strongly about issues would confront their leaders directly at the Theater from behind with a cap to the noggin and then jump off the balcony while yelling their motto.

Now that at least shows some effort.

Note: Abe is my favorite president, and I do not condone busting a cap in anybody's head over any political or civil dispute.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
No. Not online, and not even on-paper.
The best you can do is collect signatures to get a candidate or proposition/measure/law onto a ballot.

Letter Writing campaigns can occasionally get results, but the last one I know of was for Doctor Who in the 80s, which brought us 3 more years.

Remove ads