• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are rogues marginalized by magic?

Do you think magic marginalises the rogue class?

• Strongly agree that magic marginalises the rogue.

Votes: 55 46.2%
  • Somewhat agree that magic marginalises the rogue.

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • Haven't seen it either way.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • Somewhat disagree that magic marginalises the rogue

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Strongly disagree that magic marginalises the rogue

Votes: 12 10.1%

Ahglock

First Post
You know I just looked up arcane lock - level 2 permanent duration. Caster only has to cast it once - it won't wear off unless the door is broken. (him opening it does not stop the spell).

Explicitly says that the only way to get in is Knock or to break down the door (which it makes harder by 10). 100% rogue screwage-means the rogue cannot pick a locked door against anyone who can afford a lvl 3 or better wizard.

I always treated arcane lock as a trap that a rogue could disarm.

I don't think magic overshadows other classes, though I think the 3e magic item system does.

In 2e I think thieves were overshadowed by anything that breathed. The thief skill system flat out sucked and with suggested penalties for hard locks, penalties due to level of the mob it was hard to get anything off at any level, and you could only try once per level on each lock or whatever.

Ahglock

First Post
one thing i forgot to add. magic users were far more powerful in 1st ed ad&d than they are now in 3.0 and 3.5 (don't get me started on the 4e complete gimping of wizards).

I disagree, wizards are far more powerful in 3e due to the changes to saves and magic resistance. Sure fireball is weaker, but now save or dies are supreme.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Its not really magic users, its magic gear.

Slippers of Spider Climbing really embody the problem. They grant a climb speed. Once that happens, it doesn't matter what your climb skill looks like, or what your armor penalty looks like. They completely negate that entire aspect of your character.

So you get in a weird situation. If you give them to the guy who likes to climb, they're redundant with his climb skill ranks. If you give them to someone who's terrible at climbing, he's significantly better than the guy who invested valuable skill ranks in climbing.

My wizard casts grease on your slippers of spider climbing. It may not get you the first round, but it will sooner or later. Looks like you're going to fall, too bad you chose not to take ranks in climb, you might have actually had a chance at the +20 DC climb check to catch yourself. Sure, spider climb gives you +8 and take 10, but without any ranks, that's not enough. And sure, maybe you have feather fall on the ready to not die. But now you're on the ground, in range of Meathead the Fighter's oversized greataxe.

Spells can make a rogue's abilities obsolete, but at least they run out, or require the spellcaster to fill up spell slots with Knock instead of an attack spell. Its gear that creates the problem- a 50 charge Wand of Knock can last most parties a very, very long time, and isn't all that expensive.

I agree spells that auto-win a skill check stink, and listed it as a problem with 3E (in the 'what's wwrong with 3E?' thread). Most 3E players won't argue that. However, this is at least in part due to carryover from 2E, and is easy to fix (houserule).

And that's not even getting into the ways that advanced magical tricks like flight and teleportation rain on the parade of classes based on mundane maneuverability.

It depends. MIC made short range teleportation items cheap enough for all to use. Flight, I've found, is sort of like having a tech advantage. At first, it's killer, later on everyone has it or can deal with it. At level 5, flight is a real game-changer. By level 10, most PCs that bother to can have flying abilities of their own from items or elsewhere, within reasonable expense. And even at level 5, a Wizard trading scorching rays with a full BAB character using a bow he has no feats for has only a slight to moderate advantage, with hp differences. And it's possible he'll run out of strong ammo before the fight's over if he has some unlucky misses.

It can do it better... fewer times per day and with more explicit limitations and countermeasures, at the expense of other opportunities.

So no. Put me in the strongly disagree column.

I put slightly disagree, but I concur with your reasoning regardless.

Very much so. Gets so bad the rogue is better off marginalizing his OWN skills with magic!

Why bother attacking AC? UMD a wand of a [range] touch attack spell!

Undead?
Break out the sorta cheap Staff of fire and Use the No save, double damage to undead Wall of Fire.

Mid level? Buddy up to the wizard for Blink or Improved Invisibility!

High level? Buddy up to the Druid for some 12d6 to 20D6 + Sneak fire seeds!

You call it marginalizing. I call it supplementing. Rogues are crafty, they don't cry about the abundance and power of magic, they put it to their own use to help make their jobs easier.
UMDing a wand with a touch spell is just plain brilliant against foes with massive natural armor.
Using items to face undead is nice too, but why even go for damage dealing? That gets expensive. Get some nice battlefield control for those occasions -- scrolls of web, entangle, etc...
As for wizard buffing, why not? Two characters combining their abilities for a result greater than the sum of the parts put in? That's :):):):)ing beautiful, man. :)
Fire seeds is nice, but still fire damage. Why not get a wand of acid splash for 375 gp and not even need another character? Sure, you lose the 12-20d6 base, but for that low cost and your skill in sneaking, you now have 50 uses of d3 +xd6 acid damage that ignores SR. One man's crime against nature is another's ingenuity, I guess.

You are again discounting scrolls, wands and other easily craftable items.

As for explicit limitations and countermeasures - realy? your saying, under 3.5 rules, it's easier to countermeasure a wizard determined to get at or find out something than a rogue?

Rogues can use all those items, as well. I really consider UMd a class feature, more than a class skill. It gets the rogue through encounters against SA-immune foes, and greatly expands his options.

As for counter measures... pretty much the entire schools of abjuration and divination exist to foil the other schools. I really don't feel like listing every single instance, but take disguise, for example. There are spells to give large bonuses, yes. But there are also many spells to see through them, not to mention the possibility of a spellcraft check to know a disguise/alter spell was used (which will result in bad stuff even if the disguise itself isn't seen through). However, there is NO way to pierce mundane disguise methods, such as a kit or huge ranks, other than actually winning the spot check. As long as the rogue can keep his important skill mods high, there's not much most enemies can do to stop him, aside from also keeping their modifiers high.

So, I put sort of disagree because while I think Rogues have the skill list and guile to most put magic to use, I do agree the existence of some things (knock, etc...) do nothing but let some old guy from an ivory tower suddenly become the greatest lock picker on the street, for example. Even so, 3E offers a Rogue character the most fun and variety of any edition 2E-4E in my experience (and those are the only ones I've played). Which is the most important thing.

DracoSuave

First Post
However, there is NO way to pierce mundane disguise methods, such as a kit or huge ranks, other than actually winning the spot check. As long as the rogue can keep his important skill mods high, there's not much most enemies can do to stop him, aside from also keeping their modifiers high.

True Seeing *cough cough*

Imp

First Post
I would say as general trends go:

The 3e rogue is stronger & more able to contribute to things than thieves were in previous editions – it isn't quite as big of a gap as it looks like on paper, primarily because of uneven level advancement prior to 3e, but it is a pretty big gap and it contributes to the perception of rogues being good-enough. (I think you have to work a bit to even things out but it's not pointless to try)

The 3e wizard is much stronger than his earlier counterparts – they are sturdier, they have more spell slots, they have weapon options for the early going, crafting is cake, metamagic provides flexibility, and so on. It evens out a bit at ~11th level when the flexibility of the earlier-edition spells really comes into play and the 1e/2e character is stacked with magic loot. It's true, 1e sleep was like a win card, but that magic-user loses initiative, takes a hit against AC 8 or 9, down he goes – so there's that.

wally

First Post
As I said in my post only temporarily and at great expense (and also completely at the whim of the DM and or the other players). The wizard spends less on items and can easily have the exact items he needs as opposed to trying to find/and or buy them (assuming they are even available).

The footing is not remotely equal.

Actually, you are right. The rogue isn't losing xp, so if the spellcaster makes enough, the rogue will probably end up being level(s) higher than previously mentioned spellcaster. Also, if the spellcaster was specifically trying to do my job, I may just take some ranks in pick pocket and take the wands and scrolls that he had spent time, money and xp making and use them myself. :)

Also, it is another nod to playstyle. If your fellow gamers are letting their characters sit around and do nothing while you spend days or weeks crafting all those magic items, then they are at fault. They could be out adventuring and getting more treasure that your spellcaster wont be able to collect on as he isn't helping.

-wally

Hussar

Legend
Stream of Sky - so your solution to the problem is for the rogue to be more like a wizard? And that's protecting the rogue's niche?

Wally - the problem is, why is the wizard allowed to do this in the first place? Shouldn't the rogue have enough niche protection that the wizard flat out cannot do this?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I would dare say magic isn't the only thing that marginalizes Rogues. Combat for them is more than a bit iffy, especially considering all the things that are immune to sneak attack, and the rather high amounts of damage that a full BAB class can do with a two handed weapon and power attack. About the only thing they have going for them is trapfinding, and even that isn't exclusive to them.

Stoat

Adventurer
I see three important play style issues that effect the balance of power between rogues and wizards.

Low-level v. High-level play: As Remathilis said, the wizard needs spell slots or gold to compete with the rogue's skills. At lower levels the wizard lacks both. It's also worth noting that all core traps are CR 10 or lower. If you don't usually play past level 10 or 12, you won't see the same disparity between rogues and wizards that you would otherwise.

Availability of Scrolls & Wands: A wizard that memorized knock as one of his 2nd level spells doesn't compete with the rogue the same way a Wand of Knock does. If magic items are freely available (through crafting or through easy 3.X-style purchase) it becomes easier for the party to replace the rogue with magic. If you limit the availability of magic items (for example, by making them hard to buy) you will increase the rogue's viability.

Dungeon Delving v. Other Adventures: The rogue's advantage is that he can search/disable/pick locks/etc. at will for no cost. The more time a party spends looking for traps, opening doors, etc. the more taxing it is for the wizard to handle the job by himself. At a certain point, the rogue becomes the more economical choice.

I note that these are pretty foundational choices, and are frequently the subject of much debate around here. Lots of folk don't like high level 3.X, and don't like magic Wal-marts. I would expect those folks to get more utility out of their rogues.

FWIW, I DM'd a 3.X rogue from about level 10 to about level 20. The party had a sorcerer and cleric but no wizard. The rogue held his own until somewhere around lvl 15, and his performance dropped steadily after that.

Remove ads