Are we tired?

Turanil

First Post
In fact I am burned out. I am happy to have bought my 3.5 boxed set, but am going to run a Grim Tales campaign that don't use the PHB classes and races.

However, I notice that I am enthusiast about Castles & Crusades, about its basic elves and dwarves... Mmmmh... why so? I think it has to do with layout and illustrations of the books. The current D&D fashion is about cyberpunkish medievalism, and it's really not my cup of tea. While Eberron is a cool setting, having dwarves, elves, and halflings in it, it's IMO like mixing tortillas, spagghettis carbonara, and nems in the same dish. Eberron would have been great, I would have bought it, if it has had only its own races and own classes (for instance: no paladins or druids). This is why I am enthusiast about Castles and Crusades: because of its older traditionnal medieval look.

So: yes tired of cyberpunkish elves and dwarves, not tired or the good old days of D&D.

BTW: I hate gnomes and halflings because they can have 18 strength (at least at 8th level) and get a bonus to hit and AC for being small. So basically a halfling fighter can be as much powerful as a half-orc fighter, which is a total idiocy. I never authorize gnomes and halflings with more than 13 in strength (and it's because I am lenient, it should be 9 maximum...).

GlassJaw

Hero
I'm getting kind of burned out on "standard" D&D. I'm also pretty tired of the tired books WotC keeps releasing. More this and more that, blah, blah, blah. I'm tired of "stuff" in general.

I'm also not that crazy about Eberron. I mean it's decent but I honestly don't think it's that different from any of the other standard settings. To me, it seems like FR or Greyhawk with construct and changeling races and some other campaign-specific house rules. It's nowhere near settings like Planescape, Spelljammer, or Dark Sun.

I really want to start a Mutants & Masterminds or Shadowrun campaign. I also haven't had the chance to play in a d20 Modern campaign either and I would love to give it a shot.

Bauglir

First Post
kilamanjaro said:
I think most people in this country are sick and tired of being told that they're sick and tired. I know that I'm not sick or tired, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am.

This is fantastic. Can I sig it?

vulcan_idic

Explorer
I'm not, and I don't think the rest of my group is either. My theory is that we never really do straight PHB stuff, it's just the theme we riff on. Which isn't to say that we change anything mechanically, it's more of laying the threads of culture differently, one world will be primarily a Democratic Republic of the Elven Nation and the heros are charged with insuring clean elections - in a medieval fantasy environment. Another game might be all the standard races, but all of them have the insectoid template (from Savage Species) or the reptilian one (same). It's all a big game of "What if...?" How would the world of D&D be different if we left most things the same, but changed X... So each game is an entirely new experience. I remember one particularly memorable world peopled entirely with Aasimars and Tieflings...

eris404

Explorer
Ferret said:
There have been lots of "Are we tired of..." threads but I want to know are we tired, in general. I know that DND has a huge fan base and isn't going any where but are, at least half expecting something new? We've gotten Ebberon, but is that enough? Do the core races bring to much baggage? I'm not surprised that the drow thread came up (especially with drizzle), but now some are questioning elves? So are we tired?

Our group rotates through three different D&D campaigns so the players are sort of tired (not me though - I'm still making up for those 6 or 7 years during which I didn't play). We've decided to throw some other games into the mix, like CoC (not d20) and maybe a SciFi game (may or may not be d20).

I am sort of dissatisfied with some of the conventions of core rules D&D, so for my new campaign world I have decided to swap out some races and classes. But overall, nope, I'm not tired. :)

Voadam

Legend
I'm a new father to a 1 month old son, so yes, I'm very tired.

In D&D I'm a little tired of skill checks. I was finding the C&C "no mechanical skills just can do appropriate things based on background" aspect very attractive.

Aeric

Explorer
I'm tired of D&D, but only because I've been playing nothing but D&D since 3.0 came out, and even before then, there was maybe one non-D&D, non-World of Darkness campaign that lasted longer than a couple of sessions.

Remove ads