• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you a fudging fudger?

Are you a fudging fudger?

• I am primarily a GM, and I sometimes ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 69 58.0%
  • I am primarily a GM, and I never ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I am primarily a player, and I don't mind if my GM ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I am primarily a player, and I prefer it if the GM never ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 10 8.4%

Jeff Wilder

First Post
My takeaway is that polling EN World is not terrifically meaningful - what matters isn't gamers in general, but your people in specific.
It's meaningful that I used the word "interesting" to describe the results, rather than "meaningful." Not to blow anybody's mind.

That said, I believe the results so far can be meaningful despite their lack of statistical validity. For example, it could be that some players and GMs will be inspired by the results to share information on their preferences, in either direction, if those preferences had been assumed congruent before.

Barastrondo

First Post
My favorite datum from the poll results is that people who primarily GM outnumber people who primarily play by almost 6 to 1.

It would be quite a world, wouldn't it?

Ahnehnois

First Post
Apparently not enough, since TPK-ed my PCs this week.:devil:

My favorite datum from the poll results is that people who primarily GM outnumber people who primarily play by almost 6 to 1.
That's pretty much ENWorld.

Sometimes rules have to be broken to make a game fun. So are some dice rolls.

The assumption however is that fudging is only used very rarely (less than 1% of the rolls) and only to prevent really unfitting things (random items or encounters, very seldom on an attack roll)

catsclaw227

First Post
Okay.

So, catsclaw227, who are those "internet personalities?"
Seriously? You want me to start calling people out? First, it's not my style. Second, I am not even sure if that's OK with regards to board rules.

If you really want to know, you can view any of the known edition war threads and see a couple of people on both sides of the discussion state or imply that they don't like the way other people play.

So... is there any particular reason why you bolded my name or was it an accident? And I am also curious why you are pursuing this line of questions. The topic is about fudging the dice.

Ariosto

First Post
Barastrondo said:
It would be quite a world, wouldn't it?
Indeed! Then again, I suppose one might think of oneself as "primarily a GM" the same way many people are "secondarily waiting tables" in Hollywood. Never mind that one may have been "designing the campaign" in artistic solitude since before the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Barastrondo

First Post
Indeed! Then again, I suppose one might think of oneself as "primarily a GM" the same way many people are "secondarily waiting tables" in Hollywood. Never mind that one may have been "designing the campaign" in artistic solitude since before the fall of the Berlin Wall.

"I love killing things and taking their stuff, but what I really want to do is direct."

The Shaman

First Post
Seriously? You want me to start calling people out?
Hey, you posted it, so back it up.
First, it's not my style.
You'd rather just wave around a tarry brush, then?

Admin here. Shaman, please see my note below. ~ PCat

Does that seem fair?
Second, I am not even sure if that's OK with regards to board rules.
But it's okay to question the motives of other posters anonymously, and not give them a chance to respond? That's an interesting interpretation.
If you really want to know, you can view any of the known edition war threads and see a couple of people on both sides of the discussion state or imply that they don't like the way other people play.
There's a big difference between saying, "I don't like to play the game that way," and, "The way you play the game is wrong."
So... is there any particular reason why you bolded my name or was it an accident?
I bold everyone's screennames when I post. It's a habit I picked up many years ago. Go back through my old posts and you'll see it all over the place.
And I am also curious why you are pursuing this line of questions. The topic is about fudging the dice.
And part of that is suggesting that some gamers -excuse me, "internet personalities" - "don't like the fact that some people can have fun" fudging the dice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads