• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arkham Horror - Best Ancient One for a Con

Frost

First Post
I'm going to be running Arkham Horror at GASPCon in Pittsburgh, PA this weekend.

I've only played the game a half-dozen times at home, so I have not played with all the Ancient Ones. Does anyone have a suggestion about which one might be the best for a 4-hour session?

John Crichton

First Post
Unless you are playing more than 6 players, any of them should be fine. However, if you want a shorter game (which will be good for new players), go with Yig or any that have shorter doom tracks.

Thanee

First Post
Azathoth. One thing less to explain (i.e. how to defeat the ancient, if the gates are not closed in time). ;)

Azathoth.png

Bye
Thanee

Frost

First Post
Yeah, it can take four hours easily with a large group of new players. I'll be running six players. I had debated participating as a player myself, but I think I'll just referee it, so to speak.

I appreciate the suggestions.

arscott

First Post
So is the threat of just plain dying.

Azathoth is nice for beginners, since his 14-count doom track gives newbies a bit more time to find a feel for the game, and his follower abilties are pretty tame. plus, as mentioned, you don't have to deal with the "how to fight the ancient one" if things go badly.

John Crichton

First Post
So is the threat of just plain dying.
Azathoth automatically denies new players the possibility of experiencing an element of the game. Not the best way to demo a game.

plus, as mentioned, you don't have to deal with the "how to fight the ancient one" if things go badly.
Again, I don't view this as a positive. The final battle is no where nearly as challenging to understand as other elements of the game, especially with a "referee" running the game and not playing. Not to mention that it gives the new investigators a last ditch effort for the win as things will very likely not go well over the course of the game.

Jhaelen

First Post
However, if you want a shorter game (which will be good for new players), go with Yig or any that have shorter doom tracks.
I'll second Yig. With Yig you're almost certain to enter final combat. And if you're playing the game with new players they'll probably find it challenging and fun, too.

Remove ads