Armor for wizards

Patlin

Explorer
I take it you've allready considered mage armor as an alternative, as well as (possibly with the craft wonderous item feat) bracers of armor?

Most of the things I've seen to deal with this issue are prestige class abilities, such as seen with spellsword or knight phantom.

I'll need to have a look at the prerequisites to have much of an opinion. I had been thinking still spell would be apropriate, but I'll have a look at the mechanics thread and then get back to you. (Links might help for the prerequisites.)

Patlin

Explorer
OK, now I get it... the crossed out stuff above are previously aproved prerequisites. I guess I'm more or less OK with this. Can we specifically add that the feat has no effect on ASF from a shield?

Erekose13

Explorer
The crossed out stuff was my first proposal it was rightfully shot down really quick. My second proposal is below that either a feat or armor enhancement. Yup I can specify on the feat that it can't apply to a shield. It is intended only for light armor. With the armor enhancement, I'd leave it as applicable to both if we go that route.

For some examples of low level casters who can wear light armor, look to the beguiler, the warlock, and a host of other newer casters.

Velmont

First Post
The feat is fine, and it would allow a Figther 1/ Wizard X to wear a Mithral Chain Shirt without penalty at the cost of 2 feats (as Light armor profeciency come free with figther). I think it might be a bit powerfull, but not too much.

Knight Otu

First Post
Erekose13 said:
Armored Casting [General]
Through focused training and practice, you are able to apadt your somatic components while casting in light armor.
Prerequisites: Armor Proficiency (Light), Light Armor Optimization, Armored Casting, BAB +3
Benefit: When wearing light armor, decrease the arcane spell failure chance by 10%
Special: Medium armor made of mithril counts as light armor for the purpose of interacting with this feat.
Emphasis mine, I think there's a bit of a problem. Nice trick to balance it, though. ;) Not sure if 10% is balanced, depending on whether you wanted a different feat as a prerequisite, but if it is overpowered, then not by much. Perhaps add proficiency with (one/all) martial weapon(s) as a prerequisite?

Erekose13 said:
Or:

Casting, Lesser: reduce the arcane spell failure chance by 10%.
Faint Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, haste; Price +2 bonus.
Casting: reduce the arcane spell failure chance by 20%.
Faint Transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, haste; Price +4 bonus.
I believe both auras would be moderate, per the detect magic description. Sounds reasonable, though we might go with Velmont's suggestion of making the latter a +5 bonus.

Erekose13

Explorer
Knight Otu said:
Emphasis mine, I think there's a bit of a problem. Nice trick to balance it, though. ;) Not sure if 10% is balanced, depending on whether you wanted a different feat as a prerequisite, but if it is overpowered, then not by much. Perhaps add proficiency with (one/all) martial weapon(s) as a prerequisite?
haha, removed the silly prereq. hmm proficiency with all martial weapons would force casters to multiclass rather than just take a couple of feats. i like it.

KO said:
I believe both auras would be moderate, per the detect magic description. Sounds reasonable, though we might go with Velmont's suggestion of making the latter a +5 bonus.
i just took a guess with faint/moderate. moderate it is. can do with the +5, though I'd be tempted to up it a bit to 25%.

Velmont

First Post
Erekose13 said:
haha, removed the silly prereq. hmm proficiency with all martial weapons would force casters to multiclass rather than just take a couple of feats. i like it.

I have question, do we want this feat to be accessable only to Warriors classes or we might want to allow followers of Gliran and Atonidas who multiclass as Cleric/Wizrad or Cleric/Sorcerer to offer them a possibility to wear armors?

Velmont

First Post
The Light Armor Proficiency force the wizard to spend one extra feat, but not to a part figther or part cleric... the only arcane spellcaster who have this proficiency at start, is teh bard, but he can already cast in light armor, as he is more verbal focused caster than somatic.

Remove ads