[Arsenal Contest] Burgeddin the giant dwarf vs. Quillathe

(I want to clarify what we mean when we say different distances. Do you mean to say that Quillathe is just inside your 20-ft. reach, so there are 3 empty 5-ft. squares between them? Or that she is 15-ft. away from you, so there are 2 empty 5-ft. squares between them? I interpret it the second way.

Also, I take it you're not hastened this round, so no AC bonus from that?)

Quillathe spring attacks at the giant dwarf, attacking with her bladed whip, still maintaining her 5-pt. Combat Expertise. Since her speed is 40 ft., she moves in, attacks, then moves past Burgeddin, heading to the tree line. She ends up just 5 ft. from the tree line. Spring Attack keeps her from provoking attacks of opportunity.

Her attack roll is d20 +20 -5.
[dice]

She strikes for 2d6+2 damage.

[dice]

(Woot. 14 damage.)

At eye level with a dwarf's crotch, Quillathe snakes out her whip as she sprints past, cutting dangerously close to Burgeddin's groin.

As she nears the treeline, she turns to face her foe and shouts back, "Come along, Chief. I'll cut you back down to size."

Last edited:

stevelabny

Explorer
gah, heh, see this is my play by post inexperience. i'm getting confused on the preferred method of stating distances.

but its ok. by my calculations, if there were two empty boxes between us, you just traversed them, and the two boxes directly next to my 10x10 area, and 4 more boxes. that still puts you in reach.

this assumes that i was blocking your straight path, which i assumed was the case as neither of us ever mentioned diagonal steps back.

is this how you see it?

if not, then how far away are we?

Oh, oops. Yeah, you're right. I thought you stayed as a 5x5 critter when enlarged, and even then you'd just be able to 5-ft. step and wallop on me. Okay, do your worst. My AC's 30.

stevelabny

Explorer
"I HATE playing cat and mouse games. Let's END this, elf."

Burgeddin activates his haste ability again (until this is over) and flies into a rage.

Enlarged, raged, hasted Burgeddin's CURRENT stats
HP 88 (90 -6 -14 +18rage) AC 19 (22 -2rage -1 size, -1 Dex +1haste)
Atk: +20 (17 normally, +1 haste, +2 rage str boost, +1 size str boost, -1 size)
Full atk +20/+20/+15
Damage 2d8 (enlarged glaive) + 14

He attacks 3 times.

[dice3]20[/dice]

stevelabny

Explorer
He connects once more.

[dice]

for 21 points of damage.

After the hit, he steps 5ft diagonally towards the elf, as if daring her to attack.

Last edited:

The massive glaive skitters across Quillathe's parrying rapier, then pushes through, slashing her arm.

(Quillathe takes 21 damage, dropping her from 45 to 24).

Quillathe advances, spring attacking and snarling, "This mouse has claws."

Since you're 15 ft. away right now, she moves next to you (10 ft.), attacks, then steps 5-ft. sideways, not moving away but just slightly around you. She's still 15 ft. from the tree line, but she's right next to you, so you'll have to take a move action to get far enough back to use your glaive, which will incur an attack of opportunity if you try it. (Or at least I hope I'm right about this. I was told this is the way to fight giants with reach weapons.)

Diagram.
q = Quillathe
b = Burgeddin
. . . . = Tree Line

Before move.
. . . . .
xxxqxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxbbxxx
xxbbxxx
xxxxxxx

After move.

Before move.
. . . . .
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxqxxxx
xxbbxxx
xxbbxxx
xxxxxxx

She attacks with Combat Expertise for 5 (+5 AC), fighting defensively (+3 with Tumble), with you as a dodge target (+1). Thus, her attack roll is d20 +20 -5 -4, or d20+11. Her AC is 33.

Her attack roll:
[dice]

Remove ads