As a DM, do you let PCs precisely "place" areas of effect for spells?

Cedric

First Post
If they are cutting it too close or doing something dicy, I might ask for a spellcraft check with a reasonable DC (10-20 depending on circumstances).

Cedric

Fenes 2

First Post
In our campaigns Fireballs etc. are not usually used when others are engaging the targets in melee, so it seldom comes up, but generally no. If a caster wanted to place an area effect spell with extreme precision on a battlefield with moving characters I'd request a spellcraft check.

Since I play the only caster with area-effect spells the situation does not come up that often - I seldom play, and I don't like to fry allies.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Remember, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

While our spellcasters get to precicely target spells, so do the enemy spellcasters.

Arnwyn

First Post
Yes, I do. However, if an enemy that would be hit by an area of effect spell is in melee with an ally that wouldn't be based on the arrangement on the battlemat, the ally has to make a save (with a +4 bonus) or take 1/2 damage (success results in quarter damage). Simply put, melee means they're moving, dodging, weaving, etc - not standing there like automatons swinging once every 6 seconds. "My turn. Missed. Your turn. Missed. My turn..."

Sullaf

First Post
Like my DM once said: If an archer is able to hit an enemy dead on at great distances, why shouldn't the same apply for a wizard.

They don't study all those time for nothing. They master their magic and can therefor manipulate the size, distant etc etc of a spell.

So yes under normal circumstances I'd allow a wizard to pinpoint exactly where a spell effect would take place.

Gossamerblade

First Post
We have a wire hoop that defines the area of effect of a fireball. It's used by both PCs and DM, and it allows for some pretty precise placing of fireball spells. But any PC in melee with someone who's just inside the range gets caught too.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
I'll second the Baldur's gate argument. I used to always cast fireballs at people who were in melee with my allies, and their circles would be touching, and I never hit them, after some practice. There you had no grid or targeting templates too, so "real life" wizards should have no problem.

Think about how accurate pro golfers can get... and swinging a club and hitting a tiny ball is a helluva lot more difficult than pointing somehwhere and letting an orb fly I'd say.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Not only do I allow* it, I encourage it.

Heck, I usually point out that they can get better results if they rotate that cone three or four squares to the left.

*By 'allow', I mean that the entire group has defined play parameters. I neither 'allow' nor 'withhold' anything. I'm just the guy on the other side of the screen. /peeve

Black Omega

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
Remember, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

While our spellcasters get to precicely target spells, so do the enemy spellcasters.

Brown Jenkin beat me to it, but yep. Same rules for both sides, it just makes sense a caster would get pretty good at placing area effect spells.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Hell, I let them have called shots with spells....

....nothing quite like the feeling of aiming a well-placed Fireball up the nostrils of the nearest baddy.

Or a crotch shot with a Ray of Frost? :)

Why the heck not, after all? :)

Remove ads