• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

as long as we are on half-orcs and half-elves..

Reprisal

First Post
Kobolds: A Dragon Libido?

Half-Kobold?! Beyond the genetics the logistics of that mating are just bizzare in they extreme, I don't even wanna think about it.

Well, now that I think about it... with all these half-dragons running around, kobolds, who are rumoured to have some relation to dragons, could perhaps share that same draconic... genetic adaptability. :rolleyes: :D :p

Fenris

Adventurer
The justification in Shadowrun for the inability of the various sub-species to interbreed (thus preventing them from being classified as a sub-species) was of coarse: Magic. Magic can be intoned to counted many logistical flaws. But if you look at this antropocentricly, elves represent the more refined side of humanity, orcs the baser side. I think part of the reason we have just the two half-breeds is that these represent the desire to show these traits within the human race. The half-breeds illustrate the best and worst of what humanity could be.

Then again I plotted out a phylogeny for most of the sentient races IMC. Since elves and orcs diverged early on the likelyhood of mating is slim. I got around this by convergent evolution. The humanoid reproduction system is fairly well conserved. In closely related species one of the four principle barriers to reproduction arose (temporal, spatial, physical, chemical). In orcs and elves however the initial divergence did not alter the reproductive structure or timing. Therefore these races can inter-breed. IMC dwarves and gnomes are more ancestral and have temporal barriers to cross reproduction and halflings have the obvious physical barrier.

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I have no idea as to the answer to the question, although I would point out that half-elves and half-orcs are both found in the works of Tolkien.

There are half-giants, but they were in the Dark Sun Setting, now discontinued.

There are half-kender. You will find one in one of the Dragonlance books.

However, I have never read or heard of a half-dwarf, a half-gnome, or a half-halfling, in any sourcebook or setting book I have ever perused.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
However, I have never read or heard of a half-dwarf, a half-gnome, or a half-halfling, in any sourcebook or setting book I have ever perused.

Didn't an elf/halfling cross star in one of the Dark Sun novel trilogies?

-Hyp.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Kudos to Fenris

Wow Dude you really do have too much spare time:)

Are you able to post this though? I'm sure it would be great;P

Then again I plotted out a phylogeny for most of the sentient races IMC. Since elves and orcs diverged early on the likelyhood of mating is slim. I got around this by convergent evolution. The humanoid reproduction system is fairly well conserved. In closely related species one of the four principle barriers to reproduction arose (temporal, spatial, physical, chemical). In orcs and elves however the initial divergence did not alter the reproductive structure or timing. Therefore these races can inter-breed. IMC dwarves and gnomes are more ancestral and have temporal barriers to cross reproduction and halflings have the obvious physical barrier.

Last edited:

Eternalknight

First Post
Sigma said:
In a similar vein, where are the half-gnome-half-dwarves or the half-elf-half-halflings? :D

As someone pointed out, Asgard 1 has rules for it. Asgard 6 also has rules for it, but this time done with feats.

Fenris

Adventurer
Tonguez said:

Wow Dude you really do have too much spare time:)

Are you able to post this though? I'm sure it would be great;P

Tonguez,
Thanks. Sure I will post it. I will need to get it into an appropriate format first.

Krusk

First Post
alsih2o said:
does anyone have an explanation for why we see half-elves and half-orcs, but no half-dwarves, half-halflings, or half-goblins, half-gnolls, half-kobolds, or half-trogs?

hal-elves, orcs, and ogres seem to be it, i realize i can circumvent this if i want in myt campaign, i was just wondering if anyone has any idea why these seem to be the only "official" halfbreeds?

Humans like elves. Make half-elves.
Orcs like humans. Make half-orcs.
Only dwarves like dwarves. No half-dwarves.
Nebin and Lidda working on Gnomeling.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
It is almost unknown outside of Tolkien and Tolkien derivatives to make any distinction between a elf and a dwarf, an orc and a goblin.

In fact elves, fairies, sprites, pixies, leprechauns, dwarves, goblins, gnomes, dryads are all usually classified as fey in mythical material.

Not sure about orcs, never saw the word until I read Tolkien. Maybe I can find it in the OED? Dictionary.com refers to grampus from Milton, grampus is apparently a Killer Whale or something of the kind.

Sometimes people make distinctions such as fairies and goblins, fairies being nicer than the ugly goblins, but that is inconsistent. You usually find that when someone is imposing a Christian derived moral dualism on fairy.

Remove ads