Ascension 2023

First off, it is with tremendous pleasure that I could support Upper Krust in a new decade by picking up his updated Ascension, now with the art and sample deities I've wanted to see for how many years and forgotten Enworld names now?

I just wanted to say congratulations on the big update. I've been a fan for decades. We've been communicating since before the ELH was released, which exploded my mind :\

Lingering questions for ol' Krusty - I see that little was done to the body of the Ascension. When are we getting that Omega template, man? :D And as for that divine ascension epic spell, why does it stop at Duad? Can it be used to stack on itself? What if I have a guy who who wanted to make himself a tetrad with that spell? And when a high lord changed around portfolios, are they required to take on the visual appearance suggested in the portfolio descriptions? Thought experiments...

Also is the Evil Eye ability granted by default to Time lord/high lords the same as the one that can purchased with enough divine ranks? (E.g., a 1 does not automatically fail).

And for alter reality (su), which can be used as a free action once per round, is that the intention? At base high end without the divine+ purchased abilities, a deity can attack simultaneously from the past, present, and future. Does that mean the deity is still limited to one use of alter reality, or is it three?

Last edited:

RoyDude

Villager
First off, it is with tremendous pleasure that I could support Upper Krust in a new decade by picking up his updated Ascension, now with the art and sample deities I've wanted to see for how many years and forgotten Enworld names now?

I just wanted to say congratulations on the big update. I've been a fan for decades. We've been communicating since before the ELH was released, which exploded my mind :\

Lingering questions for ol' Krusty - I see that little was done to the body of the Ascension. When are we getting that Omega template, man? :D And as for that divine ascension epic spell, why does it stop at Duad? Can it be used to stack on itself? What if I have a guy who who wanted to make himself a tetrad with that spell? And when a high lord changed around portfolios, are they required to take on the visual appearance suggested in the portfolio descriptions? Thought experiments...

Also is the Evil Eye ability granted by default to Time lord/high lords the same as the one that can purchased with enough divine ranks? (E.g., a 1 does not automatically fail).

And for alter reality (su), which can be used as a free action once per round, is that the intention? At base high end without the divine+ purchased abilities, a deity can attack simultaneously from the past, present, and future. Does that mean the deity is still limited to one use of alter reality, or is it three?
i also kinda want to know about the alter reality, also how if a immortal/deity has it then do they still need caster levels. and do they get access to all spells from all classes. also if they do have it can they use it to make magic items or do spell research. i get the automatic metamagic capacity and the metamagic freedom and you would just need the regular metamagics so you can stack them based on AMC
also the evil eye thing of not needing to roll. does this mean that they always use the highest BAB and damage? what about if a spell has effects based on hitpoints or hit die or ones that you have to roll to see the effects

Yeah, that does bring to mind. With Evil Eye and you always getting the best rolls, do you have to roll to crit, or does that mean every attack crits?

And Cosmic Consciousness, does the timelord perceive everything in the multiverse (campaign setting) or just the plane they are in? Because it says universe there.

Ahoy there amigo! :)

I appreciate the support. The book is being better received than I expected. Presumably a few Pathfinder players have picked it up.

I just wanted to say congratulations on the big update.

Well that is but an appetizer for the (eventual) 5E books which will blow your trunks off.

I've been a fan for decades. We've been communicating since before the ELH was released, which exploded my mind :\

I sometimes just delve back into the threads of yesteryear and am amazed and humbled by the interest.

Lingering questions for ol' Krusty - I see that little was done to the body of the Ascension.

Time is the one thing I don't have in abundance. I wanted to spend 2 weeks sorting out Ascension 2023 and I ended up spending 8 weeks on it. Time is my nemesis, thwarting me at every turn.

When are we getting that Omega template, man? :D And as for that divine ascension epic spell, why does it stop at Duad? Can it be used to stack on itself? What if I have a guy who who wanted to make himself a tetrad with that spell? And when a high lord changed around portfolios, are they required to take on the visual appearance suggested in the portfolio descriptions? Thought experiments...

Perhaps I leave these mysteries unanswered to bedevil the readers...

...either that or I simply don't understand half of my own book any more.

Quite possibly.

I vaguely recall wanting Alter Reality (in this instance) to function like an aura, but that would still let you use it 3 times I suppose.

Howdy RoyDude! :)

i also kinda want to know about the alter reality,

Me too.

also how if a immortal/deity has it then do they still need caster levels.

Hmmm, well you still need caster levels with Wish...right?

and do they get access to all spells from all classes.

Yes.

also if they do have it can they use it to make magic items or do spell research.

Yes but Item power would be limited.

i get the automatic metamagic capacity and the metamagic freedom and you would just need the regular metamagics so you can stack them based on AMC

Correct.

also the evil eye thing of not needing to roll. does this mean that they always use the highest BAB and damage?

Only if they have the ability that lets them always use the highest BAB.

Damage would be minimised

what about if a spell has effects based on hitpoints or hit die or ones that you have to roll to see the effects

Use the worst die roll, ie. always 1's.

Yeah, that does bring to mind. With Evil Eye and you always getting the best rolls,

Evil Eye: Enemies always roll a 1 on each die.

Inner Eye: you always roll the max on each die: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20 etc.

do you have to roll to crit, or does that mean every attack crits?

Inner Eye = Auto Crit

Evil Eye: enemy couldn't crit unless they crit on a '1'+

And Cosmic Consciousness, does the timelord perceive everything in the multiverse (campaign setting) or just the plane they are in? Because it says universe there.

Just the plane they are in. A Plane is 'technically' a universe. If you can fly to somewhere its still in your universe. If you have to Plane Shift its not. I guess the term universe has multiple meanings.

Just about Evil Eye specifically, the one that time lords/high lords get by default (and not purchased) states "... For instance you could choose to always gain the best dice rolls for you and your allies and bestow the worst on your enemies."

So in this instance, that version of Evil Eye covers both "best rolls" and "worst rolls" so my question here involved whether that meant 1s always fail and "best rolls" means natural 20s across the board/auto-crits.

As for the universe thing, that's what I thought. I wasn't sure if you were analogizing here as 2e Legend Lore had greater powers sense everything everywhere (and later watered down in FR to individual planes). That sure answered this question!

Edit: Going back to the Divine Ascension Spell, I asked in part about the limit because this one seems a little easily exploitable. Setting aside all the fun infinite shenanigans available in 3.5 without even delving into the Immortal Handbook, a time lord can get infinite intelligence and then, with alter reality, would be able to cast Divine Ascension and make himself a duad, permanently. So perhaps you set a hard limit so Time lords don't arbitrarily increase their power into some extreme multiple of high lord repeatedly?

Edit 2: Just checking in on this one:
also if they do have it can they use it to make magic items or do spell research.

"Yes but Item power would be limited."

What did you mean here?

Last edited:

Just about Evil Eye specifically, the one that time lords/high lords get by default (and not purchased) states "... For instance you could choose to always gain the best dice rolls for you and your allies and bestow the worst on your enemies."

So in this instance, that version of Evil Eye covers both "best rolls" and "worst rolls" so my question here involved whether that meant 1s always fail and "best rolls" means natural 20s across the board/auto-crits.

Hmmm, evil eye doesn't state ally rolls are affected.

If the Time Lord had Inner Eye and then the power that lets allies gain one ability while within your aura (can't recall the name of it offhand), then that might work.

As for the universe thing, that's what I thought. I wasn't sure if you were analogizing here as 2e Legend Lore had greater powers sense everything everywhere (and later watered down in FR to individual planes). That sure answered this question!

The term universe is a bit fluid like that.

Edit: Going back to the Divine Ascension Spell, I asked in part about the limit because this one seems a little easily exploitable. Setting aside all the fun infinite shenanigans available in 3.5 without even delving into the Immortal Handbook, a time lord can get infinite intelligence and then, with alter reality, would be able to cast Divine Ascension and make himself a duad, permanently. So perhaps you set a hard limit so Time lords don't arbitrarily increase their power repeatedly?

I honestly don't remember. I was a lot smarter back then though...so maybe. :LOL:

Just to clarify, the evil eye available to eternals (Ascension 2023, PDF pages 57 and 58) does actually state allies may get the benefit of the best rolls. Alas, my dreams of playing a time lord who stacks dozens of high lord levels on himself fade into the ether :sneaky:

Why I didn't ask these questions 15 years ago, I'll never understand ;)

Another Krustacean Kwestion. (Sorry Krusty).

If an immortal voluntarily provides quintessence to another immortal, is it at a 1 to 1 ratio? Resonance shows quintessence to a mortal burns 10 for every 1 (it's inefficient). You keep the 1/10th where an immortal destroys another, but what about a voluntary transfer?

Remove ads