Ashes, all [closed]

mips42

Adventurer
'I've just told them the wolves are at their door or will be shortly. They're naturally nervous. I believe that they will rally come the morning, it is nearly sundown, after all.
'It may be slow at first; a blanket here, some older clothes there but, once the dam is opened, I believe that the waters will flow.
'Then again, perhaps they put their faith in the watch and the Townmaster to do what's needed. If that is the case, it will be up to the courageous few to do what must be done.
'That is why the Watch exists. That is why The Dukes Raiders', the elite squad who beat back Dark forces in my fathers time, existed.
'One way or another, this threat must be met, challenged and nullified. I charge you: Ask yourselves "If not me, then who? If not now, when?"
'Unless there are other questions or issues that need addressed, I think the day has been quite long enough. Stop in in the morning if you wish, I will prepare the writs of deputation, should you decide you want them.'
Just then, there's a knock upon the door and a stout dwarf stumps in. 'Pardon the late hour, Evendur'
'Of course, Adrik. How can I help?
'I was just wantin' ta let ya know that me and me brothers are in for the militia. It may be small, but clan Tumbledown is on yer side.'
Evendur smiles 'You have no idea how pleased I am to hear that, Adrik. You can speak to one of the Arms in the morning. Sleep well.'
' 'Night, Evendur.'
'Good night, Adrik.'
The dwarf stumps out of the office and you hear the door close. Evendur smiles wistfully and says ' "And so, the pebble enters the pool, it's ripples casting beyond the stones' small reach." '*
Evendur turns to Huron, 'sometimes the gods are distant and, sometimes, they are in the room, with you. Strange, yes?'

* Lester and Huron[sblock]
Lester and Huron would both recognize this as a fragment of a longer piece titled 'Cascada', penned by the great sage Jandar Ulmokina nearly 500 years ago. Usually, only scholars would have read Jandar.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Neikron

Explorer
GM:
A couple sentences into the Townmaster's speech, I'd like to attempt to duck out and head to my room, preferably without anyone noticing until I'm already gone

mips42

Adventurer
ALL:
If you've not yet read the OOC thread, Dream has some life issues going on and I'll be piloting Bree as best I can until they return.
Bree looks at Evendur 'What would you have me do, Townmaster.'
'While it would certainly be in my power to order you to stay and lead your Hand, I will not do so.'
'So you would have me go to Crown Point?'
'Again, it would be in my power to tell you to do so. But I will not. You must decide for yourself what you would do. Should you decide to stay, I am sure that you would be valuable to us here. I am just as sure that, should you decide to go, you will be valuable to these folk.
'Your Duchy needs your help, Bree Windrivver. But you must choose for yourself the best way to support Her.'

'I think... I think that the situation in Crown Point is more dire. Here, you have the watch and the Hands and, by the looks of it, a start on the militia. Crown Point, by our best information, has none of those things. I will go. In my absence, I would recommend Dorna lead the Hand. She has a good head and an even temper.'
'it will also infuriate Arm Declan.'
With a small smirk, Bree replies 'hidden treasure.'
'Very well, then. It would seem you have a group. Get a good nights rest and come by in the morning for the writs and your stipends. sleep well, you'll likely need it.'
With that, Bree turns to Huron, Lester and Ashurn and says 'I would agree. I'll be here at first light with my gear. I hope to see you here as well.' Then she turns to leave.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"To the pub?" asks Heron once she has departed. If he has five days' journey ahead, he can ride in the back of a wagon if he needs to for the first day. He invites anyone else willing to come.

Returning to the Rusty Hen, he orders a pint and sits down at the Mission. His table continues free, even though the town has packed the small room. he recovers his possessions from the patroness, but not without making it clear that he and his friends are offering themselves to repel evil, and that they shall ensure the safety of the town. He'll volunteer to take any offerings with him, as long as they are delivered by dawn tat his table.

By his third pint (assuming others will stand him a round), he's looking for other volunteers; preferable among those that he's been speaking to over the past few weeks. An extra person or two, particularly if they are not fighters themselves, will be most welcome as volunteers in the morning. He hopes one of them is attractive, as that will make the journey there pass quicker.

(OOC: deception to trick a woman into accompanying him and "volunteering aid"? 1d20+1, with advantage= 19. he promises to take good care of her.)

Once that's taken care of, he speaks to the landlord, thanking him for his acceptance of the Mission, and promising to return to carry on the good work. Heron has been encouraging everyone he sees to buy each other rounds, if for no other purpose than to ensure the goodwill of the hosts. He is not ill-behaved, but want to be seen to be helping their business. He gathers up his candles and the alms box, and packs it with his gear.

The next morning, arriving at the gate with a young woman holding his hand (Sara? Lara? he'll remember soon enough; she was affiliated with the Church of the Seven Stones, he remembers, which is amusing in itself). Perhaps there are other new volunteers, and perhaps some goodwill offerings for Crown Point as well.

He looks around at the company. If anyone is making any last-moment attempts at gaining favours, he casts Guidance on them, giving them advice (ooc: and letting them add 1d4 to the roll).

A good night's work.

PierceSG

First Post
"Well, see you all tomorrw morning in the tavern then.", says Ashurn as he turns and leaves the mansion, headed towards the marketplace. He purchased for some dried food for the journey ahead, then he headed back to his room in The Rusty Hen.

He spent some time sharpening his greatsword with a whetstone before sheathing it, donned his chain mail on with leather padding beneath it. Packed his backpack with his purchases before he snuffs out the candle's flame and lie down in the bed. Making a mental note to wake up early so to meet up with the rest of the volunteers before heading to Evendur's place.

Kaodi

Hero
Lester makes sure to settle his account with the tavern owner and to say his goodbyes to Toulka before heading to the designated meeting spot the next morning. In truth he is terrified. How did he get roped into this? Crown Point had better be in few enough pieces for him to get the information he needs and get out with his life.

mips42

Adventurer
With 'until morning' 's sad, you leave the Townmaster working hard into the night.
Heron:
The townspeople begin filtering out of the Hen relatively soon after the impromptu meeting and seem reluctant to volunteer for what seems to be a dangerous mission, at least with you.
Alton smiles pleasantly at you and says, 'maybe the back room might be better for your "mission" next time? There's a bit more privacy there.'
OOC: I'm not sure where advantage would come from in this situation, unless it's a class feature I missed, so I'll take the lower roll but that's still enough... /ooc
With a little patience and persistence, you are able to find someone to share your bed. This makes it a bit of a late night.
Lester:
Cora is happy to see you and takes your money. Upon seeing your worry, she says 'don't worry dear, all will work itself out.' During the night, you have restless dreams. First, what could best be called a vision of your colleague laid out in his study, clearly dead, and a shadowy figure sneaking away.
Second, of an enormous block of stone covered in runes in an unknown language but crackling with magic. it is a long night.
Penton:
the evening air is cool, a nice change from the warm afternoon spent scouting the perimeter. You see several people carrying small bundles heading toward the docks area, presumably going to the Wagonmaster to deliver goods.
The rest of the night passes uneventfully.

The morning comes soon enough, cool but clear. It will likely be as warm today as yesterday, if not more so. You arrive at the town hall to see the others there as well, packed for travel.
After brief introductions, you all enter the office and find Evendur there, looking tired and in the same clothes he was wearing last night.
'So soon? It feels like you just left. Well, here are your writs, as promised, as well as your stipend advance. I would be remiss if I did not tell you that I've likely put my appointment as Townmaster in your hands. I pray you will treat it kindly.
'In that vein, I would ask a favor. Along the eastern road are several farms that are beyond what could be scouted yesterday, including the Wisthaven, Yesley and Ubler farms. I would ask that you check on them, let them know what is happening and that they are welcome to stay in town should they wish to.'

Remove ads