Ashes, all [closed]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Heron laughs when his question to someone new gets answered by the guards woman Bree standing behind him. He turns to her, and says, firmly, "As I said before, I've not volunteered, yet." There's a moment's fire shooting through the narrowing black eyes as he thinks about his next action, but he regains his composure, and turns to Declan.

"You might need help, here and maybe sending help there." He tosses his head in the direction of Crown Point.

"I've grown fond of this place, and thought I'd see what the deal was. Maybe, you all need some, I dunno, prayers said for you." He smiles self-effacingly, adjusting his collar with a hand, before he reaches behind the unknown woman he had been addressing. "And maybe you need a sword. I think Lester here might be very helpful for you. But it doesn't look like you have many takers."

Last edited:

PierceSG

First Post
"If we're planning to send reinforcements to Crown Point, I'll volunteer to be part of the militia.", says Ashurn, thinking of a reason to get out of the town before the Duke arrives. Just in case news of his escape has reached the Duke's ears.

Neikron

Explorer
Penton regains what little composure he may have had before the door had slammed. "Penton. Penton Stubblechin, at your service," he squeaked; hesitance conveying in his voice. Really, though, he was hoping no one would acknowledge his presence. He was used to that anyway. That could lead outside of his comfort zone -- here, in town. Penton didn't much like straying from comfort. Unfortunately for him, he also did not like to disappoint. People here were like a second family, afterall.

Lost in thought for what seemed an eternity, he looks around nervously, expecting all eyes would be on him.

mips42

Adventurer
'Welcome and well, met all. Thank you Bree for getting your hand mobilized, you are a credit to your rank.
For now, things here in Herons' Hollow are progressing as well as they can be
. Penton here has just completed his initial scouting and found nothing of note in the immediate area, which is good news indeed.
'As for crown point, if I were of Declans' temperament I might be inclined to order you to go. But I am not him, to both our benefits.
'Having said that, I would not turn you down if you were to offer to go and see what may be done.
'As for the others, if you would like to go as well, you certainly may and,'
he adds with a sly grin 'if it offers you any incentive, I can temporarily deputize you into the service of the Duke, which would offer you, ALL of you, a stipend of a gold crown per day plus expenses.
'It is roughly a five day journey to Crown Point and, as this would be a personal request of mine, I would be willing to match the stipend out of my own coffers AND pay you for the trip there in advance, for a total of ten gold crowns each.'
He looks at you and seems to wait for your reply.

bree
this is amost triple what you would have been earning as Hand, if that matters.

PierceSG

First Post
Upon hearing what Townmaster Evendur had said, Ashurn promptly replied loudly, "I'll be honored to be of service as a defender of the weak and the innocent!".

Perception check?
Upon closer look, one can see Ashurn is sweating cold sweat at the moment.

Last edited:

Neikron

Explorer
Penton waits out Ashurn's loud reply, and when he's sure it's over, he states quietly, but concisely, "It's not about the money; but the times as they are, and what we have here to protect... We can't let our neighbours deal with this alone. Having said all that, I do accept. Now, if that is all you'll have of us for now, I'd like to get my things in order before we leave. When exactly do we leave anyway, Evendur?" Penton cranes his neck to the side, and scratches at his hair, waiting out Evendur's response.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
"I-I am not really sure what help I'd be," says Lester awkwardly. "I don't think of myself as being much help in a fight. I'd, uh, not be very useful except as a torchbearer or something..."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Heron is somewhat surprised at the offer, both the speed with which it was presented, but also how few of the townsfolk have come to offer assistance. Apart form the over-zealous guard Bree, are any of us here anything other than relative newcomers?

Heron doesn't commit himself right away, before he sees who his companions will be. He's invested a lot of time talking to people in the town, gathering information. But the threat is real, and the opportunity for a bigger score amidst the confusion always exists.

He does realize that he's volunteered Lester, however, and he feels some responsibility for that. The scout, Stubblechin, is another unknown, but his eager sincerity causes Heron to drop any suspicions.

mips42

Adventurer
'Well spoken, Penton. Sadly, though I wish is were not so, since being appointed Townmaster I've learned that sometimes the wheels of politics are best oiled with gold.
He indicates Ashurn, 'it seems Penton, this gentleman and and', indicating Lester, 'that one are interested.'
He turns to Heron. 'What about you. You've been quiet and would seem to have questions.'

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"No hesitation, Townmaster, but I am distressed at what's happened. I had expected more of the town to rally to its defense."

Heron looks around at the near-empty room. Even the woman he had begun to talk to has excused herself.

"But none of the people born here, raised here, are helping. Do you know why that is, Townmaster? Is the danger greater than you've led us to believe?"

Remove ads