• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ashin's Commission: The Great Escape!

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Here it was. I was being a bit peevish at the time about inter-party strife, and the discussion wasn't as coherent as it might have been, but the topic did arise.

ic: "The wheel of fortune turns, and sometimes one is on the top, at others one is on the bottom. When we last had potentially dangerous prisoners, the solution I found was to take their boots, so that they would have trouble pursuing us. Of course, teleportation is well beyond me. Not much chance I could ever catch you unless you wanted to be caught. I think you overstate the danger."

"I'll tell you what, just to help us reach an agreement, I'll agree that as a term of the truce, I'll owe you a favor. The favor cannot be something contrary to my own moral code, but it could be something of significant value to you. Helping you to escape capture, for example. Providing an intermediary between you and forces that might refuse to deal with you directly. Hard to say what it might be."

"I think I read a story once where a Lion made this deal with a mouse, and to his surprise found the mouse's help of benefit...."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Hmm, is inaction in the face of something you despise contrary to your moral code? How about fighting against someone who has a so-called 'Good' alignment, nonlethally of course, not to the death, on behalf of someone who they would call 'Evil' ?"

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
"Hmm, is inaction in the face of something you despise contrary to your moral code? How about fighting against someone who has a so-called 'Good' alignment, nonlethally of course, not to the death, on behalf of someone who they would call 'Evil' ?"

"It depends. Standing aside while someone is killed whom I could have saved? Won't do it. Ignoring the sale of an illegal substance where both seller and buyer are illing? No problem. Fighting good people on behalf of someone evil? Under the right circumstances, certainly. The brightest of angels can fall, and even a devil may rise. Wouldn't it be the duty of a good man to stand between an evildoer and a lynch mob? You cannot redeem the dead."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"You most emphatically cannot redeem the dead, and you cannot educate them. That's actually why I don't like killing people who are deluded--that and it feels like kicking a puppy. And I think everyone can agree on the fact that puppies are cute. Anyway, your morals seem far too subjective to me--whenever I called for your help, you could just claim that it's 'too much' and not do it. And I'm sure you won't agree to something like if you refuse my first favour, you are required to do whatever my next one will be no matter what?" Aglaia pouts slightly, "Tell you what--do you have someone who matters to you deeply?"

Patlin

Explorer
"I have had the pleasure of meeting many good and hardy souls. Michael is among those companions at arms I have known the longest, though Vanitri is probably the one to whom I owe the most."

Patlin

Explorer
Ironwolf sends a thought to his psicrystal, asking it to tell Zaeryl that he thinks Aglia is just playing with them, and has no intention of engaging in any kind of truce. Is Zaeryl working on some kind of plan while Ironwolf is negotiating, and if so what can Ironwolf do to help?

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Ironwolf has no history. Does he actually have no one other than just some random adventurers he met in his travels--so no parents, no siblings, no NPC friends, no lovers? It doesn't matter what he tells her, just what the truth is)

Rystil Arden

First Post
'Zaeryl thinks she's probably just waiting for the poison's secondary effect to hit you, or for the constructs to dissipate. He's concerned because actually the constructs should already be gone by now, but they aren't. He claims to be 'methodically trying different permutations of actions to see if they are permissible under the effects of this spell'. I admire his persistence in not giving up despite no success so far. You could learn from that, you know. Anyway, he says that you should keep stalling, which he claims will be easy, since she wants to stall too.'

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: Ironwolf has no history. Does he actually have no one other than just some random adventurers he met in his travels--so no parents, no siblings, no NPC friends, no lovers? It doesn't matter what he tells her, just what the truth is)

How is this:

-- He's the younger of two brothers, by a full 8 years, and grew up on the familly farm. When his parents passed away, his brother inherited and took over the farm. Due to the age difference, his relationship with his brother is distant, but he didn't want to work for him so he set off to make his fortune. At the time, his brother had not yet married, and Ironwolf hasn't had any news since leaving the farm.

-- He found a teacher, Randorin, who recognized his psychic potential and tought him the ways of the psychic warrior. His apprenticeship lasted for a period of four years. Randorin is old, in his late sixties, and has retired to a manor house in the country.

-- There was a local girl he was interested in named Mellisant, but his interest was not returned and Ironwolf buried his regret by concentrating on his studies. The girl eventually married and moved away, Ironwolf isn't sure where she could be found at this point.

-- There was another girl, Arcadia, a few years older than Ironwolf. She was the manor's head vintner. She and Ironwolf were good friends, but in an uncharacteristic lack of wisdom Ironwolf's desire for Mellisant blinded him to any possibilities with Arcadia.

Ironwolf is generally a lonely fellow, and doesn't think that any of these 'matter to him deeply' -- he might be surprised at how much they do, however, if one was threatened. They're probably at least as important to him as Vanitri or Michael, but he was aware as he was speaking that Vanitri and Michael are able to take care of themselves.

Remove ads