Ashnar Spells II

Erekose13

Explorer
I like Rystil's idea for a spell that stays with you dealing damage if you do certain things, but I also like the spell as written.

I'll vote yes on both spells.

Patlin

Explorer
Knight Otu said:
Ashnar's Fiery Shackles
Conjuration (Creation) [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level or until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Fiery shackles enwrap the limbs of the target, preventing it from moving in any meaningful way without harming itself.
The target can take purely mental actions (such as spells without any components), actions that only involve speaking (including spells with only verbal components), and five foot steps without discharging the spell. Any other action discharges the spell. Also, the target cannot make a successful reflex save without discharging the fiery shackles, and must remain flat-footed to prevent the spell from being discharged. However, the target is not helpless.
Discharging the spell deals 3d6 points of fire damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +10) to the target, freeing the target in the process.
The target can attempt an Escape Artist check (DC equal to the spell's DC plus 5) to escape the shackles. An Escape Artist check that fails by 4 or less means that the target could not escape, but did not cause the shackles to discharge. An Escape Artist check that fails by 5 or more discharges the shackles as above.
Focus: A set of masterwork manacles (costing 50 gp).

Ashnar's Shield Swarm
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Target: Up to 1 ally/level
Duration: 1 minute/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
Small shields of force start hovering around the targets, intercepting attacks made against him or her.
You create one shield per caster level, to a maximum of 15 shields, and distribute them among you and your allies as you wish, except that no character may have more than five of these shields. Affected allies gain a shield bonus to their Armor Class equal to the number of shields distributed to them. This bonus applies against incorporeal touch attacks, since it is a force effect. The shields have no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance.
Shields that cannot be distributed are lost.

I like the changes. Yes.

Sorry that took so long, I misinterpreted the priorities changing thing as withdrawing the proposal!

Knight Otu

First Post
Patlin said:
I like the changes. Yes.

Sorry that took so long, I misinterpreted the priorities changing thing as withdrawing the proposal!
No problem, though if that had been the case, I'd have locked it. As I mentioned, I'd still like to have these spells, just a bit later than the others.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I vote YES] to both spells. Also, as mentioned, I think that the Shackles could be buffed to stick around and keep burning you every time you did the actions on the list (unless you escaped or made the Reflex save) and still be a fair second level spell (compared to Flaming Sphere and Scorching Ray, for instance).

Knight Otu

First Post
So, Rystil would like to see the spell more or less this way:

Ashnar's Fiery Shackles
Conjuration (Creation) [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, F
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Fiery shackles enwrap the limbs of the target, preventing it from moving in any meaningful way without harming itself.
The target can take purely mental actions (such as spells without any components), actions that only involve speaking (including spells with only verbal components), and five foot steps without activating the spell. Any other action activates the spell. Also, the target cannot make a successful reflex save without activating the fiery shackles, and must remain flat-footed to prevent the spell from being activated. However, the target is not helpless.
Activating the spell deals 3d6 points of fire damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +10) to the target. The spell can be activated multiple times in its duration, but no more than once per round.
The target can attempt an Escape Artist check (DC equal to the spell's DC plus 5) to escape the shackles. An Escape Artist check that fails by 4 or less means that the target could not escape, but did not cause the shackles to activate. An Escape Artist check that fails by 5 or more activates the shackles as above.
Focus: A set of masterwork manacles (costing 50 gp).

Correct? And if so, is anyone else in favor?

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I think I'm okay with the new shackles spell. As a non-discharging spell, it's a lot like Hideous Laughter, except with a reflex save and the option (after failing your save) to take actions anyway and take damage.

Is that an official proposal? I'll wait for some more comments before voting.

Knight Otu

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Is that an official proposal? I'll wait for some more comments before voting.
Sure, let's make it an official proposal. If it doesn't go through, the discharge one is pretty safe at the moment.

Remove ads