• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Asking the right questions

clvrmonkey

First Post
Hi, I'm the DM. I'm about 3 sessions into a new campaign and I'm already starting to get discouraged. Here's why...

My group consists of 6 players, 4 of whom have roleplayed in some capacity in the past (2 quite extensively). All 6 willingly joined the group when I put out the call, there was no coaxing of any kind. Plus, all of them are good people and good friends.

During the games everybody has had a good time for the most part. The problem is, half of the group is more interested in hanging out then in following the story line.

At this point I'm thinking the fault might be mine, at least partly. What I'm thinking of doing is writing a short... test if you will, to try to figure out what type of game they are looking for, how much direction they as players require, etc.

I would like to do this as more of a psychology type test, more generic type questions, maybe not related to rpg's at all. Multiple choice seems to be the best option, although some open ended questions would be good (as well as general comments). I'll also probably include some critique questions, maybe using a 1-# scale.

I'm looking for some questions. Have you ever looked to your group for direction as a DM? Have you asked yourself questions to get some direction?

Any help is appreciated!

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
I did that for a group of 4 that had gotten togather to play at a local game day. I just asked 4-5 questions rated on a scale of 1-10. Then I asked them 2 fill in the blank type. The first were how they felt about rpgs, the DM style. The last 2 were how they felt about the styles of RPG and whether they wanted to make it a campaign or not. I got very god responses from the 4 and used it til we had to break up :( Still it sounds like it is just the nature of your group to make it more social because you're all friends and this is just the way you can all get together to "hang out"

Remove ads