• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Assassin City - DM Discussion Thread

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Well the primary religion would be the polytheistic pantheon with the most important deities Skaia and Aur. Skaia is worshipped by the laymen as deity of love and Aur as deity of merchants, in the pantheon there is also dozens of other deities for different aspects of life. The racial religions are used by the different races. There is also a small precence of the Order of the Dragon since modern Dragonites works as mercenaries and bodyguard and are known to be extremely good at that. The cult of Bahos has a precence in the region also despite the fact that it is illegal to worship him. He is assosiated with deprivity and exsessive hedonism.

Blackrat

Yes, there are drow. The underdark spans through the whole continent. They fight their own wars with themselves, duergar, mind flayers etc. And ofcourse occasionally raid surface communities.

Blackrat

Never really thought about languages. I have always envisioned for every country to have it's own language but also to have a common trades language.

Dire Lemming

First Post
That sounds good. The Empire probably enforces a unified language on the people but In the alliance there are all sorts of languages. Hm, what do you think about the diversity within the human population of just the city itself? I mean how many different human languages are spoken?

Blackrat

Well since it is the hub of trades in the alliance I'd say you could catch a conversion in any possible language during few days. Ofcourse the main language used would be that of Laradin itself, with common coming second.

Rhun

First Post
Blackrat said:
Well since it is the hub of trades in the alliance I'd say you could catch a conversion in any possible language during few days. Ofcourse the main language used would be that of Laradin itself, with common coming second.

Just chiming in because I like to help where I can...In my homebrew, languages are bassed more on geographic areas / sub-species than actual countries. Some examples of how I handle this in my setting:

COMMON
The common tongue has been in use for several thousand years, and is the preferred trade language of those who travel between nations. Most educated peoples speak common in addition to their national language. Anyone who has a business or trade that brings them into common contact with travelers from outside their own lands will speak common.

VENDII
Vendii is the traditional language spoken by the Vendii peoples, those who mainly dwell in the western realms of Sivaris, Nyrithia and Glasur, and to a lesser extent in Adolia, Hellis and Volnn. For the most part, the Vendii are a proud people, and prefer to speak in their own tongue over common or other languages.

DRACONIC
Draconic is the national language of the Uldarr Empire, though it is not nearly as prolific outside of that realm’s borders. Still, it is a major language on Ailioth, if only because of the sheer size of the Uldarri realm.

FARONELL
Spoken by various clans and tribes of northmen, Faronell is most heavily spoken in Rhaynis, Ukul and to a lesser extent in Hellis. The dialect spoken in Ukul is heavily seeded with orcish and goblin words, and difficult to understand for anyone who speaks plain Faronell. The Reavers of Frostfall have been noted as speaking a dialect of Faronell as well.

AMPHAR
Spoken by the Ampharan peoples that inhabit the southwestern portion of Ailioth, Amphar is commonly spoken in Ophidia, Tarus, Jathara and Ampharus.

Maybe that will give you guys some ideas. :D And if you want me to mind my own business, just tell me to!

Remove ads