D&D 5E Astral Projection

Tanaka Chris

First Post
Not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but it reads....

"Your astral form can freely travel through the Astral Plane and can pass through portals there leading to any other plane. If you enter a new plane or return to the plane you were on when casting this spell, your body and possessions are transported along the silver cord, allowing you to re-enter your body as you enter the new plane."

Can Astral Projection be used as a teleport spell? Like a sneak entry?

And the other thing I wanted to ask, WHAT exactly has been known to cut the Silver Cord?

Thanks

Gretkatillor

First Post
According to the Dungeon Master's Guide, the Astral Plane is a separate, dream-like plane. The way I read it, it is not a misty double world where you can move around undetected before reappearing in a new spot on the Material Plane (if that's what you mean). You either return to your physical body on the spot where you left it, or you enter a portal to yet another plane where you then re-enter your body.

What you might be thinking of is the spell Etherealness, although you can cast that only on yourself.

The silver cords can be cut in a psychic wind (a special astral storm) or by the githyanki's silver swords.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
What you might be thinking of is the spell Etherealness, although you can cast that only on yourself.

Etherealness can affect creatures other than yourself if cast at a higher level. It can target 3 willing creatures per slot used above 7th. I agree that etherealness is the better fit for sneaking into a location that isn't magically guarded.

However, this makes me wonder what astral projection is actually for. Plane shift is a cheaper way to travel to a different plane. I guess its a safe way to explore the astral plane specifically since your body is relatively safe during it.

Plane shift is a cheaper way to travel to a different plane. I guess its a safe way to explore the astral plane specifically since your body is relatively safe during it.

Yes, Plane Shift is generally cheaper/better and always has been. You're correct that the safety benefit is a big deal with this spell, and you can also look through portals without travelling through them (thus this spell has some recon benefits). Plus, 18th level monks can cast Astral Travel on themselves for free (4 ki). But yeah, Plane Shift is for travelling and Astral Travel is for separating your astral self from your physical body--the Astral Plane is merely where that happens.

More details in the 1E Manual of the Planes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_of_the_Planes

Gretkatillor

First Post
...this makes me wonder what astral projection is actually for. Plane shift is a cheaper way to travel to a different plane. I guess its a safe way to explore the astral plane specifically since your body is relatively safe during it.

The DMG suggests that you can also explore other planes (via the Astral Plane) with little risk of death: "A character's death - either in the Astral Plane or on the destination plane - causes no actual harm. Only the severing of a character's silver cord ... can result in the character's true death." That's quite a boon, and something you can't do with Plane Shift, which transports your normal body. However, the spell description states that when returning or when entering another plane, your body is transported through the cord and that you "re-enter your body as you enter the new plane". This suggests that you could die there after all.

I guess it's up to the DM to interpret. But considering it's a 9th-level spell, I would stick with the more lenient description in the DMG.

By AD&D precedent, both are true: you get a new "physical" body on the outer planes, but it's still temporary, connected to your real body by silver cord. If you die in Gehenna, that body dissipates and you wake up in your real body. It's like demons on the prime material but in reverse: you can only be killed on your home plane. At least when you're using the spell and haven't had your cord severed.

Gretkatillor

First Post
By AD&D precedent, both are true: you get a new "physical" body on the outer planes, but it's still temporary, connected to your real body by silver cord. If you die in Gehenna, that body dissipates and you wake up in your real body. It's like demons on the prime material but in reverse: you can only be killed on your home plane. At least when you're using the spell and haven't had your cord severed.

Alright, that makes sense in a D&D way.

Interestingly, it would be possible to Plane Shift to an Outer Plane and then return to Material Plane via Astral Projection, so that you could act using a sort of body double. Only useful if you know of a safe spot out there, of course.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer

Interestingly, it would be possible to Plane Shift to an Outer Plane and then return to Material Plane via Astral Projection, so that you could act using a sort of body double. Only useful if you know of a safe spot out there, of course.

Just do it from Ysgard. Even if you are killed, you get resurrected the next day.

Haha, I'm stealing that idea for one of my villains! (After I review it for legality of course, but I think it will work.) It's cheaper and quicker than Clone and you don't lose equipment.

Demiplane = Safe place.

Remove ads