At Least 4 Months For Conversion Documents

Those waiting for official conversion documents from earlier editions of D&D to 5th edition are going to have to wait a bit longer. WotC's Mike Mearls says that "the person who needs to do the final approvals on them is serving on a jury that will take another 4 or so months. Sorry!" So it looks like we're talking July/August at the earliest. Thanks to Adrian for the scoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those waiting for official conversion documents from earlier editions of D&D to 5th edition are going to have to wait a bit longer. WotC's Mike Mearls says that "the person who needs to do the final approvals on them is serving on a jury that will take another 4 or so months. Sorry!" So it looks like we're talking July/August at the earliest. Thanks to Adrian for the scoop.

SteeleC

First Post
Morrus - I apologize for using the T word.

SirAntoine - In order to understand your question, it would help if you provided an example of what you'd like to back convert to 2e. I wouldn't expect WotC to create a conversion document in that direction, but there are many here that could help in back converting elements from the 5e to 2e if we knew what you were looking for. As has been pointed out, it doesn't make sense to do it with monsters since 5e is a subset of 2e in that regard already. If there are elements of the rules (advantage/disadvantage for example) that you like, many of those rules can be directly applied to 2e without conversion. Story elements and pantheons don't require conversions. Hopefully you can see where our confusion lies with the original question - but if you can clarify, we may be able to help.

Casts *detect evil*
Boom. Jury duty done.
What's that? What do you mean, "it's not a real spell"?
Casts *protection from reality*
La la la la
Casts *mage straitjacket*

jgsugden

Legend
By the time they arrive, they'll be irrelevant. Sad, but true. In fact, I doubt many people still have games on hold waiting for the conversion package... most people have probably already converted themselves.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
It's replied to the wrong person from the article thread, but anyway. You take it how you wish mate, if you want that comment to be negative, you go for it, your pretty "precious" if you do, no wonder we have free speech under attack across the West, with so many whingers and whiners.

Getting back to it, why would you want to convert 5e back to 2e anyway baseline? And secondly as I said above, you already have every single 2e book published quite clearly available. So for example if you purchased the 5e Starter Set, and ran "Lost Mine of Phandelver", they have all the monsters/NPCs in the back mostly, but if some are missing, they are covered in the 5e Monster Manual (which is limited in scope compared to previous Monster Manuals). So it is an absolute piece of p**s to open up a 2e core book monster manual and just use those stats instead? Why would you need to reverse convert? It doesn't make sense. It's nothing to do with negativity or being a smarta**e.

But there are new things in 5th Edition.

Zaran

Adventurer
So I guess they are just sitting around the office looking at all the empty cubicles playing solitaire and working on their home campaigns until the boss comes back.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
I did not intend to be rude or insulting. The question remains - what would you need to convert from 5e to 2e?

And to answer the original question, no - there are no official conversion guidelines from 5e to 2e. I don't expect there ever will be short of reversing the 2e to 5e guidelines if/when they come out.

5e has new content. Any of it that you want to incorporate into your campaign could be helped by conversion guidelines. From 3rd and 4th Edition, there were eight monster manuals, and 4th edition in particular introduced new monsters including dizzying mechanics and jargon. Just the other day, I took a few undead from 4e and wrote new stats for them in 2nd Edition.

Belisarius76

Banned
Banned
But there are new things in 5th Edition.

Ok so what you are talking about is feats etc? Because really, apart from that and the overhaul on saving throws across the board, class abilities, you could just negate all that and fully adopt simple 2e rules mate? Just substitute spells as required, it would more or less balance itself out because you're adopting 2e in every way as opposed to 5e.

{edit} btw, did you report my post? I backtracked on this thread and seen a moderator. If so that's pathetic mate, and I personally will not be supporting this forum or this site anymore if people are that petty around here, when it was clearly yourself that took my post as "Negative" originally when clearly it wasn't. I was merely stating an opinion. Absolutely PATHETIC, taddle tale, what are you 5 years old mate?

Goodbye.

Mod Note: EN World's policy has seen us through a whole lot of interpersonal conflicts and Edition Wars for over a decade. It demonstrably works. We fail to see how using a system that works and keeps conversations on a mostly even keel can be seen as immature. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

graves3141

First Post
Perhaps this is the "big reveal"?

Seriously though, saying "final approval" suggests that the work is already done (or mostly done) and that the only remaining obstacle is one guy who happens to be unavailable.

Perhaps someone else could give the final approval? Perhaps Mearls will also eventually announce what they've been working on or what they plan to work on next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads