• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At Least 4 Months For Conversion Documents

Those waiting for official conversion documents from earlier editions of D&D to 5th edition are going to have to wait a bit longer. WotC's Mike Mearls says that "the person who needs to do the final approvals on them is serving on a jury that will take another 4 or so months. Sorry!" So it looks like we're talking July/August at the earliest. Thanks to Adrian for the scoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those waiting for official conversion documents from earlier editions of D&D to 5th edition are going to have to wait a bit longer. WotC's Mike Mearls says that "the person who needs to do the final approvals on them is serving on a jury that will take another 4 or so months. Sorry!" So it looks like we're talking July/August at the earliest. Thanks to Adrian for the scoop.

This is annoying, but if it's just the conversion document, it's no big deal. The number of people affected are minor.

But "jury duty" was also given for delays earlier, so this is a problem that has been going on many months. Rather annoying that we only found out now via a tweet. I certainly feel well out of the loop. Again, NBD unless it's also affecting the OGL or a potential update of the DM Basic rules.

The whole "tiny staff to manage biggest RPG brand" thing clearly has it limits.
Since Mearls said "approve" not write, it's probably someone in a managerial or legal role and not really part of the (small) D&D team.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Since Mearls said "approve" not write, it's probably someone in a managerial or legal role and not really part of the (small) D&D team.

If it were someone who only needed authority and not actual D&D knowledge, I would think they could pass it over or up to someone else to get it done. This is the edition that was supposed to bring everyone back home. So, one would think that having a conversion doc in place was a priority at some stage. On the other hand, since the concern has been on the back burner this long already, I'm guessing it holds little importance to WotC to get it done. Either having it in a timely manner simply has never been a priority or it runs counter to other priorities.

graves3141

First Post
On the other hand, since the concern has been on the back burner this long already, I'm guessing it holds little importance to WotC to get it done. Either having it in a timely manner simply has never been a priority or it runs counter to other priorities.

An official conversion document from WotC would be very cool to have. I just hope it eventually comes out at some point and doesn't get completely forgotten.

I still have a paper copy of the 3E conversion pamphlet. I remember they were giving them out for free at a bookstore I visited in a Lubbock shopping mall back in 2000.

Wallraven

Explorer
By the time they arrive, they'll be irrelevant. Sad, but true. In fact, I doubt many people still have games on hold waiting for the conversion package... most people have probably already converted themselves.

I'd like to try 5e without having to pay for anything first (ie, using the Basic rules). I have a pile of adventures for previous editions, but none for 5th.
And I'm currently in the middle of a campaign, so there's no great rush - I'd rather wait for the official guidelines than try and do it myself.
I'm sure I'm not the only one.

GlobeOfDankness

Banned
Banned
wouldn't it be easier to just pass the work onto someone who doesn't have jury duty? this seems more like PR lies to me than anything.

DaveDash

Explorer
If it were someone who only needed authority and not actual D&D knowledge, I would think they could pass it over or up to someone else to get it done. This is the edition that was supposed to bring everyone back home. So, one would think that having a conversion doc in place was a priority at some stage. On the other hand, since the concern has been on the back burner this long already, I'm guessing it holds little importance to WotC to get it done. Either having it in a timely manner simply has never been a priority or it runs counter to other priorities.

Yeah there's no way that the approval of this document is being held up by one person. It's just on the backburner.

S

Sunseeker

wouldn't it be easier to just pass the work onto someone who doesn't have jury duty? this seems more like PR lies to me than anything.

Right, I understand that jury can be time consuming but it's not like you're not allowed contact with the outside world or locked in a jury room until a decision is made. You still get to go home and eat, there are times when you don't need to be at the trial that you can work. I mean what, it'll take maybe a couple days for this guy to approve?

I mean is their ENTIRE BUSINESS being held up by this guy being on jury duty? Might as well close the doors and send everyone home for 4 months then if you everything is going to get clogged at the bottleneck of this guy being out of the office.

GlobeOfDankness

Banned
Banned
Right, I understand that jury can be time consuming but it's not like you're not allowed contact with the outside world or locked in a jury room until a decision is made. You still get to go home and eat, there are times when you don't need to be at the trial that you can work. I mean what, it'll take maybe a couple days for this guy to approve?

I mean is their ENTIRE BUSINESS being held up by this guy being on jury duty? Might as well close the doors and send everyone home for 4 months then if you everything is going to get clogged at the bottleneck of this guy being out of the office.

it's almost like it doesn't make any logical sense (like a lie).

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
it's almost like it doesn't make any logical sense (like a lie).

I don't think we should jump to that conclusion. However, the number of alternative explanations can't be many. Certainly no one at WotC would think their customers would just nod their heads and not think this situation isn't ridiculous. It's like the confidence a youngster has when first telling a teacher the dog ate his homework, when the dog actually ate the homework. The teacher, thinks the student, has to believe me because it is true. Now, if student tells a teacher the dog is going to eat the homework for the next four months, that takes the confidence of someone raising their dog to eat homework.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads