• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At what character level do you prefer to start play?

At what character level do you prefer to begin a campaign?

• Character level 1-4

Votes: 191 85.7%
  • Character level 5-8

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Character level 9-12

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Character level 13-16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Character level 17-epic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .
Player Characters, the really memorable ones, have ALWAYS been defined by their earliest experiences. With every level above 1st that a character begins at it becomes more difficult to "get into" them.

I start a PC at level 1 and by level 5 I REALLY know who the character is, how he reacts to his world, and what he wants for his future. On the other hand, if I start a character at level 8 by the time he's level 10 I STILL WON'T KNOW that character as well as I will my character that is half that level simply because the higher level character has not had as much IN-GAME fleshing out as the lower level one. And make no mistake that whatever I have written up as backstory for the character is VASTLY impacted by the characters initial in-game experiences, such that the character I'm playing 3-4 levels on is more defined by the in-game, rather than the backstory. Whenever I've written any kind of substantial background for a character 90% of it has been rendered irrelevant or simply forgotten in short order.

Remove ads