• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At what character level do you prefer to start play?

At what character level do you prefer to begin a campaign?

• Character level 1-4

Votes: 191 85.7%
  • Character level 5-8

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Character level 9-12

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Character level 13-16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Character level 17-epic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

pogre

Legend
First level. I usually stick to the core rules for experience and PCs are very quickly up to level 4 using the XP chart. Things slow down a bit at 4th level, but I do enjoy introductory scenarios and trying to be creative with low level adventures.

Agamon

Adventurer
I've started at 5th once, but all other campaigns have started at 1st. The low-to-mid levels are the most fun, so why throw any away?

drothgery

First Post
Psion said:
Wow. That's some broad ranges in the poll. Last time this poll was taken, I put 4th and was feeling like something of an outcast compared to those who start at 1st.

Oh, I almost always actually start at first. But that's because I'm not the DM; if I were, the game would start no lower than 3rd.

Brain

First Post
I like to start at 1st and grow a character organically, but with the caveat that I also like to get to the high levels. So it kind of depends on the length and scope of the campaign.

Also, for one shot or short series games, I've got no problems building at any old level.

wayne62682

First Post
I prefer to start at 1st (maybe 2nd) and move up, but I voted 5-8 because in my group, someone usually gets bored of the campaign around 6th level and we stop the game to play something else (our PCs now are the first ones to ever reach 7th level; started at 5th). I've never had a character higher than 7th :(

TracerBullet42

First Post
I think I like to start 'em off at second level. First level is just too fragile, but I wouldn't want to go any higher. Much of the time, a character concept isn't really realized until put into play. So starting at 2nd level allows for some rp development, which can be following up with an appropriate feat at 3rd. Just feels like a nice way to get things going.

sckeener

First Post
I actually needed a multiple choice.

I prefer to start at 1st, but I like to play monsters or high templates or level adjustments....

Quartz

Hero
I prefer 2nd-4th. If you start at 4th, you can start with a complex character; if you start at 2nd, you mostly avoid the fragility of 1st level characters.

Imagicka

Explorer
Greetings...

Well, I have to ask... what do you mean by 'player preference'? You’re going to let the players choose the level in which they start play at? Are you going to take an average of the levels, if the players decide they 5th lvl, 10th lvl, 15th lvl?

Now, I've always been interested in trying to run a game where the players each get to play the level of character appropriate to their character concept. After all, look at the fellowship of the ring... A crew of four low-level hobbits, a mid-level dwarf, elf, and a couple of humans, and a high-level wizard... Now, of course, this leads to the problem that there is no such thing as party balance when you do something like that... I would only attempt such a thing with a group of players that are more interested in roleplaying and not party fire-power. Because the last thing you want to do is nerf the high-level characters. Not to mention, it gets kinda boring when the enemies always seem to be in the right configuration to be able to handle a fight with a mixed level group.

"Okay... looks like we have some goblins, a few orcs... and oh look...they have a cave troll."

I always get tired of having to start at first level. It's so contrived. I try to start parties off at 3rd-5th level. That is of course if my players are such that they can work together as a group. If my players are the type that I know how they are going to play, and what I can expect from them as players, then I have no problem starting them off at a little higher than normal. However, If the players are going to be back-stabbing, non-trusting bunch of individuals who don't care to work together, then by all means, I'll start them off at 1st level.

Plus, starting players off at a higher level allows me to write in backstories. I tend to give players one or two back stories per each unplayed level.

"He's that guy, you know...that you had a run in when you were in this city last time...the guy who thinks that you slept with his sister."

I've even toyed with the idea of starting the party off at high level, like say 10th... and then creating low-level copies of the characters...1st level, 3rd, 5th, or whatever level that is needed... and having all the characters involved in flashbacks... "Okay... pull out your 3rd level characters, we're now going to run the backstory of the last time you were dealing with the Brotherhood of Herobizkit."

But that would require a group of players who are more looking to create a good story, and trying to colour within the lines. Too many times I've had that one player who doesn't want to colour within the lines... has to play the odd man out... has to play the unique character. Personally, I just think he likes it when I bee-otch slap him down for his idiotic actions and is forced to work in the confides of a group dynamic.

I agree with Lord Pendragon's reasoning... I hate being in a game that has fizzled out for one reason or another, and really no character development has happened other than gaining a couple of levels. I think enough people have played in games where you all start at level one, and you work you way up a few levels, and then the game falls apart. Rarely have I been in a game that has allowed me to build up a character from first level right up to twentieth.

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
How can characters that can be killed by your typical lucky housecat have amassed the skill and reputation to rescue the princess from the dragon? I mean, there's only so many orcs and dire rats a sane mind can fight.
They couldn't have. In my mind, a 3rd level character is little more than an junior apprentice. So, in my game, it's not uncommon to meet a 20th level commoner. I won't get into the logic behind it. I think it's pretty self-evident if you ask me.

Greylock, as for Groundhog Day... you should see the campaign I ran at a gaming event recently. The game was truly a Groundhog Day situation. One wrong step. Things not done in proper order... everything went wrong. Everything reset... and the players had to start back at square one... literally. It was beautiful.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads