• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At what character level do you prefer to start play?

At what character level do you prefer to begin a campaign?

• Character level 1-4

Votes: 191 85.7%
  • Character level 5-8

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Character level 9-12

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Character level 13-16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Character level 17-epic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Jedi_Solo

First Post
Most of the games I have played in have started at 1st.

There was one that started at 7th or 8th. We had an immediate problem in that game where we didn't know eachothers abilities - we really didn't know our own abilities so it got off to a very rough start.

I would prefer about 3rd level. You aren't as weak as first level. Even a wizard has a chance to survive a lucky critical (may be unconcious - but chances of not dying are higher) but you don't have the abilities of 8th level so you don't have the problem of no one really knowing their character's abilities in the tougher level fights.

I voted 1-4, but I don't like to start at 1st level.

I typically start my campaigns at between 2nd and 4th level, which lets characters have ECL/LA races and templates, it lets them be multiclassed if they are working on a multiclass combo, the increased starting money for being higher level gives players more options on how to equip their characters, and it does give me as the DM a lot more options in terms of what I can throw at the party, since a 1st level party is very weak in some ways (the wizard may well have only 4 HP, much of the party has a +0 BAB, only a handful of spells per day, ect).

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
the poll would be more informative if it broke down the first 4 levels. I like 1st but the group tends to favor 3rd or 4th.
starting at high level is a nightmare, and I disagree that you can't have backstory at first level it just has to be non-combat background.

I made a new charater for an eberron game last night - a barbarian with rolled stats of 16 str int/wis 8 chr 16 and survival 2rnks.
"So as I was recovering from the second time I had stepped on a posionus snake while hunting, and in the middle of me reciting the nineteeth stanza of the Dragons Ascension, the tribal elders gave me a secret mission to the civilized lands. I was choosen for my strength and my ability to make friends quickly. I got on a boat with some strange symbols on everything (prolly house markings) where I was in the bottom of the boat with an Oar. The captain had something in a Big cage that gave off low moans occasionally but I never found out what it was.

I got to this city two weeks ago and set up camp in an empty building. Then I met Leena - she is so beutiful, and she taught me about all kinds of fancy drinks, and let me stay in her room sometimes. So now im out of coins. Anyone need a big guy with an Axe? The elders say I climb like a monkey and jump like a madman.

This background should hold through levels 1-2 starting at 3rd would need fleshing out with some city living. At that point he will have taken a Bard level for war cries - but where he goes from there would be plot based.

Woas

First Post
Always first level. Although once I started a game at 3rd but thats because it was only intended to last one summer.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Campaign: 1st only. (is there any other way???)
One-off: whatever is appropriate for the adventure.
Individual character in an existing campaign: whatever is appropriate, usually one level below party average.

Lanefan

Having read others' replies, I find myself agreeing that for a long-term campaign, I too enjoy beginning at 1st level. Alternately, I can view with some appreciation the suggestion of a few of you that play-by-post games might benefit from starting at perhaps 6th level; pbp games are notoriously slow in pace and often fall apart in a short amount of time.

Psion

Adventurer
Wow. That's some broad ranges in the poll. Last time this poll was taken, I put 4th and was feeling like something of an outcast compared to those who start at 1st.

ranger89

First Post
I prefer to start at level 1. I like my games to be evenly split between role playing and combat. Starting at level 1 gives me a chance to get a "feel" for my character before things start getting interesting (e.g., magic items, feat trees, etc.).

My gaming group is about to do a full reset and start at level 0 with strict ability score rolling (4d6, drop the lowest, in order) and randomized race, gender, etc. Looking forward to it since my PC's character will be almost fully developed before he or she can do a damn thing.

EDIT: I have to admit that I'm surprised that the number of people that prefer to start at level 1! I honestly thought that my group was in the minority.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
First level. I want my character to grow organically, not spring out fully formed, like Athena from the head of Zeus. If 3E did a better job with below-1st-level, I'd want to start there and become an adventurer in the course of the first adventure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads