• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At what character level do you prefer to start play?

At what character level do you prefer to begin a campaign?

• Character level 1-4

Votes: 191 85.7%
  • Character level 5-8

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Character level 9-12

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Character level 13-16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Character level 17-epic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .
Doing a bit of research here for my next campaign. Voting and comments from the community would be most welcome and helpful, thank you.

When I DM, I most enjoy DMing for character levels one through perhaps about nine. I have DMed and played through to about character level 16. Particularly when starting a new campaign, whether DMing or playing, I find that it's tedious to create a character above about 12th level. And, having never DMed or played beyond 16th level, I'm curious to know others' thoughts on which character level you prefer to begin play. I ask because for the next online campaign I run, I intend to tailor starting character level more to player preference.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Voted 1-4. I've never started above 1-4. In fact, I've denied the opportunity to play in games where the game started above 1-4.

But then again, I love games that are only 5% combat, heavy RP based, and strongly geared for character development. So lay on the low levels, baby!

EricNoah

Adventurer
I like to start fairly low, maybe 2nd level or so, and I enjoy moving up through the ranks until about level 12-15 or so.

I know that when I was playing in the low "epics" it was very challenging to keep all of my abilities and options straight, and this was for a non-spellcaster. I hate to think of what spellcasting would have added to the complexity. Not to say that the campaign wasn't fun -- our DM was very skilled at running material at that level.

caudor

Adventurer
I usually start at first level, and on rare occasions second level.

Starting any higher, to me, is like showing up late to a movie. What is missed is a loss.

Aus_Snow

First Post
For a variety of unrelated reasons, I've mostly started characters at 1st or 3rd level. Huh. Odd.

I much prefer 0 or 1st though, all else being equal.

the Jester

Legend
First level. No question.

I sometimes actually cringe at starting a character at too high of a level. Yeah, you can build whatever, but really, I like the organic process of a character evolving over time.

the Jester, what level would you consider to be "too high?" --Thanks.

If I'm playing, I like to start at first level and preferably no higher than third level. I agree with others who've stated that they enjoy allowing the character to organically grow as a result of interaction with the campaign plots and NPCs. I don't get to play all that often, though, so it's good to hear the impressions of others on this subject. Thanks, all, for the kind replies thus far.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads