• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At what character level do you prefer to start play?

At what character level do you prefer to begin a campaign?

• Character level 1-4

Votes: 191 85.7%
  • Character level 5-8

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Character level 9-12

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Character level 13-16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Character level 17-epic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Aus_Snow

First Post
I'm fascinated by the suggestions of beginning at 0th level. What is this? You have a commoner level temporarily?
I don't have my house rules with me right this moment, but here is another version of a vaguely similar implementation (to my own). Just for example. There are a few others that are akin, not too far as the bit flies.

Some other online posters apparently do start PCs out with a level in an NPC class. This method *really* doesn't appeal to me, but each to their own and all that.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I voted 5-8, but I truly prefer starting form 3-5. Our game always seem to rush through the first three levels in a vain attempt to create backstory. I prefer to make the character I want straight away with the abilities I want straight away. Waiting sux. :)

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
3rd level, because any earlier and it's too easy to kill a PC due to really bad (or really good) dice rolls.

Though it is easier to make a new one at level 1...

Cor Azer

First Post
I voted 1-4, but I should clarify that I actually prefer as low as possible.

I don't get to play very often, and since as a DM I often find myself running higher level NPCs (not hugely high, but significant enough to challenge the PCs), I like the challenge of seeing what can be done with as few resources as possible, and building up a character through play.

That said, there are often occasions where starting strictly at first level doesn't work well, so I start the game with as few levels as possible (ie, my current AGoT game is based on the main characters from a noble house, so people started around 5th level to support the ECLs of nobility, maesters, and the like).

drothgery

First Post
I voted 1-4, but I hate 1st level (1st level characters just aren't all that capable, which makes compelling backstories that are about what the character has done rather than what was done to the character implausible -- if the guy's done anything, why is he first level? -- and a lot of character concepts are inherrently multiclassed), and if it must be experienced at all, it should be blown past in the first gaming session.

I tend to start PBPs at 6 or 7, because characters gain levels much more slowly, and I'd prefer that they start with the PrC they're aiming for, not hope the game lasts long enough for them to pick it up.

Wombat

First Post
I ran four 3.X D&D campaigns. In those, I started one at 1st level and the other three at 3rd level. Overall I like 3rd level as a starting point -- you don't have the weird fragility of 1st level, but you are not ready to take on dragons yet either.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads