• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Attack of the Clones: Simulacrum

Zardnaar

Legend
When you say 'alpha 1 clones you twice' is that:
1 wish spell and 1 simulacrum spell?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Depends on the level you can use 2 simulacrum spells from level 15 (using a level 8 slot to cast simulacrum).

At level 17 Alpha 1 can clopne you 3 itmes, each clone can then clone you an additional 3 times (2 simulacrum spells+ 1 wish spell).

Balfore

Explorer
Depends on the level you can use 2 simulacrum spells from level 15 (using a level 8 slot to cast simulacrum).

At level 17 Alpha 1 can clopne you 3 itmes, each clone can then clone you an additional 3 times (2 simulacrum spells+ 1 wish spell).
Was looking at cost efficiency, wish is cheaper...no?

Balfore

Explorer
Here's my dilemma. ..
I have an evil necromancer character that has been a major villain throughout our years of playing
He managed to somehow 'clone' himself multiple times thru the ages.
I'm running a campaign where, whenever the players run into a group of people and kill them, one or two look identical to each other (clones of my villain).
In 5e, I'm trying to figure out how he could get this done thru the ages...
By using the Simulacrum's, and have them cast Clone on the main villain, he can accomplish somewhat immortality.
If I can somehow make the 'copies' into real NPCs, then that would lend to the story of him being able to 'clone' himself, and the clones live a full life with a variety of classes as each one grows up.

... am I making sense?

pming

Legend
Hiya!
[MENTION=6855489]Balfore[/MENTION], the answer is simple: Make it up. :)

Just assume that the villain, over the ages, has created a spell that lets him do this...or maybe a combo of a spell/feat/ability/item. Make a note of this being how he does it. You don't need specific details...he isn't a PC, right? So his "rules" don't have to comply with what a PC would be capable of doing.

If you are one of those "RAW only" DMs, well, uh, you boxed yourself into the corner there...sorry. Maybe someone with more "RAW-savvy" can help you out, but if you aren't a slave to RAW then, as I said, just make it up. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Balfore

Explorer
Hiya!
[MENTION=6855489]Balfore[/MENTION], the answer is simple: Make it up. :)

Just assume that the villain, over the ages, has created a spell that lets him do this...or maybe a combo of a spell/feat/ability/item. Make a note of this being how he does it. You don't need specific details...he isn't a PC, right? So his "rules" don't have to comply with what a PC would be capable of doing.

If you are one of those "RAW only" DMs, well, uh, you boxed yourself into the corner there...sorry. Maybe someone with more "RAW-savvy" can help you out, but if you aren't a slave to RAW then, as I said, just make it up. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming
Thanks for the input.
We do have a 'rules lawyer' in the grp.
I just wanted it to be a little more believable with the current rule system.
I was hoping a created Simulacrum could cast Clone, and that would bring him back as 'a real live boy' (Pinocchio quote lol).
But that would only work if they cast it on the Primary target (thus giving him immortality, not multiple copies).

Mad_Jack

Legend
You don't need a "simple" solution, just a solution that's coherent and makes sense... It doesn't need to be a single spell from the PHB, or even two or three. Narrative constructs aren't necessarily limited by the rules.

You could always just say that there's some long-lost dark ritual that that gives a clone it's own life force - probably at the cost of some other being losing theirs... It could be half a dozen spells cast in a certain order during a day-long ceremony requiring rare focus items, magical regalia and unique grimoires. For the rules lawyer, write up a detailed description of what the ritual entails and all the spells they need to cast and all the items they to acquire complete it, and tell them they're perfectly welcome to use it themselves if they really want to undertake all the horrible, unthinkable atrocities necessary to do so.
To start with, perhaps there are dozens of varying alt-copies of your wizard running around with different classes and personalities because somewhere in the campaign world there are slavers or demons kidnapping babies/virgins/unicorns/virgin baby unicorns to power the rituals. The clone and the sacrifice are simply material components in the ritual, which the ritual uses to create a new being.

Perhaps the reason more evil people aren't doing this, aside from not knowing about the ritual and/or the limited supply of corn-fed free-range virgin baby unicorns, is that the caster has no real control over the end results - There's always at least some slight variation in some aspect of the final creation. At the very least, the newly "awakened" copies have their own opinions and thoughts, which might not always be in agreement with the wizard's plans. Evil wizards aren't known for being agreeable. Perhaps not all the clones would even end up being wizards, or have any magical abilities at all. On the extreme end of things, perhaps the wizard obsessed with creating an army for world domination accidentally creates a copy who ends up becoming an oath of vengeance paladin obsessed with raising an army to defeat him.

Last edited:

Balfore

Explorer
You don't need a "simple" solution, just a solution that's coherent and makes sense... It doesn't need to be a single spell from the PHB, or even two or three. Narrative constructs aren't necessarily limited by the rules.

You could always just say that there's some long-lost dark ritual that that gives a clone it's own life force - probably at the cost of some other being losing theirs... It could be half a dozen spells cast in a certain order during a day-long ceremony requiring rare focus items, magical regalia and unique grimoires. For the rules lawyer, write up a detailed description of what the ritual entails and all the spells they need to cast and all the items they to acquire complete it, and tell them they're perfectly welcome to use it themselves if they really want to undertake all the horrible, unthinkable atrocities necessary to do so.
To start with, perhaps there are dozens of varying alt-copies of your wizard running around with different classes and personalities because somewhere in the campaign world there are slavers or demons kidnapping babies/virgins/unicorns/virgin baby unicorns to power the rituals. The clone and the sacrifice are simply material components in the ritual, which the ritual uses to create a new being.

Perhaps the reason more evil people aren't doing this, aside from not knowing about the ritual and/or the limited supply of corn-fed free-range virgin baby unicorns, is that the caster has no real control over the end results - There's always at least some slight variation in some aspect of the final creation. At the very least, the newly "awakened" copies have their own opinions and thoughts, which might not always be in agreement with the wizard's plans. Evil wizards aren't known for being agreeable. Perhaps not all the clones would even end up being wizards, or have any magical abilities at all. On the extreme end of things, perhaps the wizard obsessed with creating an army for world domination accidentally creates a copy who ends up becoming an oath of vengeance paladin obsessed with raising an army to defeat him.
Thanks buddy!

Balfore

Explorer
Can the multiple simulacrum cast Clone on the main caster?
Essentially making thousands of clones for you?

Remove ads