• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

augment summoning worth it?

mzsylver

Explorer
I am converting my 1 wiz/x cleric to 3.5. he was a summoner type in 3.0 and in conversion I made him a Mystic Theurge.

Now the question is... is Augment Summoning worth it? For those who dont know, it givez a +4 str and con to all creatures you summon.

The summon monster list changed severely (I personally dont like it as much) for 3.5... there are less neutral creatures, etc. I am having trouble making a good feat lineup. I am in a campaign using mostly core books. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

jgsugden

Legend
For most casters, I'd say yes - if you enjoy monster summoning. For you, I'd say no.

Unless you're casting summoning spells with your highest level slots, they egnerally lack the power to get the job done. You, as an MT, are already lacking in your highest level slots (being 3 levels behind a pure caster), so your summoned creatures would be a bit of a waste.

Crothian

First Post
I like the feat for someone who uses summoning spells. It really does make the creatures summoned very useful especially when many lesser creatures cann be summoned.

Scion

First Post
Augment summoning is a very nice feat. However, will you get any use out of spell focus (conjuring)? Spending two feats for the +4 to two stats is worth it to some builds, not to others. How is your spell selection looking so far though? Do you have any spells that the conjuring will work with? I know it helps a good amount of cleric spells..

daTim

First Post
I took augmented summoning for my druid and I love it so far. The +4 Str/Dex is great especially with elementals who are already very tough. A small earth elemental (summon natures ally 2) would have +9 to hit and 1d6+7 damage if its target was on the ground (if i recall correctly).

As the others mentioned, if you enjoy summoning alot with your best spells, it is great, otherwise avoid it.

AeroDm

First Post
It is vastly superior, imo, for druids.

However, if you were a summoner in 3.0 I think you should remain a summoner in 3.5. I don't think it was weakened notably (and it seemed improved from my quick study). I'd probably take the feat because at higher levels when your summons die of HP loss rather than duration it really pulls through.

mzsylver

Explorer
Nightfall said:
I'd say take Augment Summoning and Conjure mastery. Then you'll have some really nice stuff to summon.

What is this mythical Conjure mastery? Enlighten the tired and beaten.

Thanks for your input! =)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
mzsylver said:
What is this mythical Conjure mastery? Enlighten the tired and beaten.

Thanks for your input! =)
Book of Eldritch Might has a feat that grants all summon creatures a +2 to all their "physical" stats. So no only do you get Increased HD with Augment, but you get +2 to their Str, Dex and Con.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads