[August] What are you reading?

Sam

First Post
Just finished The Thousand Orcs by R.A. Salvatore. About 2/3rds through with the second Harry Potter book.

Probably going to start A Game of Thrones when I finish the HP book (which should be today/tomorrow).

s/LaSH

First Post
Rereading The Belgariad by Eddings (I read it in my youth and I still find it good fun). And some miscellaneous stuff.

I'm not playing it right now, but I've always been of the opinion that anything from the Legacy of Kain series of games should qualify as a fantasy story (even if not quite fleshed-out enough for a full novel, but certainly enough for a good novella). So I'll add Blood Omen 2 to that list. Time will tell whether it's as good as Soul Reaver 2, which was a good, emotional play.

Sixchan

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I picked that up back...well, I had it preordered when it was first released. Definatly good. :)

I hadn't intended on ordering it, since I can read them all online, but when I went into my FLCS and saw it sitting on the shelves...I squealed like a little girl. :D

I also got Chobits Issue 3, but Megatokyo already has my heart.:)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Welverin said:
Should we start taking bets on whether or not you'll finish by the end of the year?

Never fear, I will. I'm nearly done with the third book (of four). This has been three or four of these threads now that I've been reading the same thing.

You know it's bad when the book's so long, it's not even a series and it's still four 500 page books. However, I gotta say that as it stands, this is probably one of the best books I've ever read.

Last edited:

Technik4

First Post
The Mammy trilogy

Changeling by Roger Zelzazny

Dream Master by Roger Zelazny

Transcendance by Terry Brooks

Ep 2 by R. A. Salvatore

Thousand Orcs by R. A. Salvatore

Lireal by Garth Nix

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

Theres some more, but thats my summer reading schedule.

Technik

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Starman said:
I'm rereading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I just started The Waste Lands today.

Starman

That is such a great book. It must be something like 10 or 15 years now since I read it. I still haven't gotten farther than halfway through Wizard and Glass, but with the final volumes of this series coming out within the next year, I plan to pick it back up and finish reading the series. I'll probably also read the reworked version of the Gunsligner.

So RPG-wise, I'm reading the Babylon5 RPG, Arcana Unearthed, and the Unholy Warrior. Novel-wise I'm reading Forged (the Oathbound novel Bastion just released), Game of Thrones, and the Marked Man Omnibus.

Last edited:

Gizzard

First Post
This is really the tail end of my July list, but:

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers. Someone in the July incarnation of this thread recommended it to someone else asking for piratey goodness. I found a long forgotten copy on my bookshelf and settled down to read it. Very good. Powers has those crazy leaps of imagination which really still surprise me. What if voodoo was real and part of the bag of tricks used by the pirates of the caribbean? Recommended highly.

The Scar by China Mieville. OK, so despite being a big fan of his stuff, I just got around to this book. Just in time for the July 31st Hugo deadline, as a matter of fact. Again, very good stuff; an interesting world that any DM scavenging for ideas would do well to read. It takes place in a different part of the same world as Perdido Street Station. It's amazing how different the atmosphere is in some ways while still remaining rather gritty. I'm not sure his pirates (an oddly recurring theme of my recent reading) are as pirate-y as Powers', but thats probably a reaction caused by reading On Stranger Tides right before. Certainly, events in the book show that it's an intentional characterization. Recommended highly again.

I also read tons of short fiction for the ballot. It was a strong year; usually there's a couple stories in each catagory that I consider chaff and one that really stands out. This year the competition was very tight in Short Story and Novella. I personally voted Creation and Wild Girls as the top works, but I can see strong arguments made for almost any of the contenders this year. It's probably a good year to pick up Best of SF 8 edited by Hartwell or The Year's Best Science Fiction edited by Dozios which usually have several of the nominees.

Remove ads