• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[August] What are you reading?

BluWolf

Explorer
"Unequal Protection: The Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights" by Thom Hartmann

Absolute must read.

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
Posted by nHammer
I'v only got about 50 pages left to read in American Gods, and I find it a little dissapointing. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I'm finding it kinda boring.

I just finished American Gods. I thought it was a great book. I loved the many mythological aspects and the "modern vs. ancient traditions" concept. There's a great websit dedicated to the book here:

http://www.frowl.org/gods/index.html

Along the same lines as American Gods (but funnier) Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore is a great read (anything by Christopher Moore is hilarious)

I just started reading the second Artemis Fowl book ( The Arctic Incident ) The first one was entertaining.

JoeGKushner

First Post
BluWolf said:
"Unequal Protection: The Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights" by Thom Hartmann

Absolute must read.

Sounds like an interesting book.

Does it talk about the past of corporations where people basically lived on corporate owned land and pretty much did what the corporations wanted?

That's one of my big beefs with some books on money and power. They act like it's an invention of the 20th century and forget all the oil barrons and railroad kings that paved the way 50-80 years ago.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Inspired by Monte's Arcana Unearthed, I've picked up the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant for the first time since 1979.

I've got through the first book and I'd forgotten how much I disliked the febrile, self-centred central character. I like the setting, but Covenant himself grates sooo much.

Cheers

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I thought American Gods had an excellent premise, and a great start, but I feel the finale didn't live up to its early promise.

Wyn A'rienh

First Post
I'm reading Dreamcatcher by Stephen King right now - got about 20 pages left in it. I honestly don't know how I've made it through this book without throwing up. I can usually take gorey, squirmy things but this book has really tested me. Ugh.

And next - I picked up a bunch of used books yesterday so I've got A Plague of Angels and Singer from the Sea by Sheri S. Tepper, Magician: Apprentice and Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist and The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson waiting for me. I've also got American Gods sitting here, along with The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart.

Got some readin' to do...

Kesh

First Post
The Thousand-Mile War

A book detailing the Japanese invasion of Alaska during WW2.

Plagues and Peoples

A study on the interaction between diseases and humankind.

Remove ads