• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Automatic success/failure

Yig

First Post
Just to be sure I got it right (RAW).

Combat

1: Auto miss.
20: Auto hit (but not an auto crit).

Saves

1: Auto failure.
20: Auto success.

Skills

1: Not an auto failure.
20: Not an auto succes.

Am I correct?

Infiniti2000

First Post
I agree. Except that in most cases, opposed rolls are not "auto" either way. For example, a natural 20 on an opposed grapple check does not mean you automatically succeed. The same thing for trips and bull rushes, though disarming and sundering are another matter since they are actually attack rolls. So, in those cases you'll need some houserules.

diaglo

Adventurer
and in the 2000ed DMG (i'm not too sure about the revised DMG) there is an optional rule.

-10 for skill check on a natural 1
+10 for skill check on a natural 20.

Yig

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
I agree. Except that in most cases, opposed rolls are not "auto" either way. For example, a natural 20 on an opposed grapple check does not mean you automatically succeed. The same thing for trips and bull rushes, though disarming and sundering are another matter since they are actually attack rolls. So, in those cases you'll need some houserules.

Forgot about those, thanks.

Rystil Arden

First Post
diaglo said:
and in the 2000ed DMG (i'm not too sure about the revised DMG) there is an optional rule.

-10 for skill check on a natural 1
+10 for skill check on a natural 20.
And my personal favourite: Telescoping rolls--roll again on a 20 and add 20 to the new result and roll again on a 1 adding -20 to the new result. Repeat this process for each successive 1 or 20.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Rystil Arden said:
And my personal favourite: Telescoping rolls--roll again on a 20 and add 20 to the new result and roll again on a 1 adding -20 to the new result. Repeat this process for each successive 1 or 20.
This is the system in World Tree. Except it's monodirectional (if you roll a 20 then a 1, it's not +20 then -20, then 1 just stops you from going up. Likewise, if you roll a 1 then a 20 it's not a -20 then a +20... well it is, but you stop rolling. I think you know what I mean).

I always thought it was weird you couldn't roll a 20. If you have a +3 mod, you can get a 22 or a 24 but never a 23.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
This is the system in World Tree. Except it's monodirectional (if you roll a 20 then a 1, it's not +20 then -20, then 1 just stops you from going up. Likewise, if you roll a 1 then a 20 it's not a -20 then a +20... well it is, but you stop rolling. I think you know what I mean).

I always thought it was weird you couldn't roll a 20. If you have a +3 mod, you can get a 22 or a 24 but never a 23.
Yes, I did mean for it to be monodirectional. And yup, you can't get exactly either a 20 or a 1, but then, you couldn't really get a 20 or a 1 under the other system, either, since they were just abstracted as auto-results.

Remove ads