Avatar 2: Way of Water ... the PRE-POLL (Are you interested?)

Will you be seeing the new Avatar movie (Way of Water) in the Theaters?

• 1. YES!

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • 2. NO!

Votes: 45 73.8%
  • 3. I would be a yes, but I don't go to theaters since the Pandemic.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • 4. I am boycotting this movie because I love Papyrus.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So full disclosure- the reason behind the poll is I was genuinely curious what the results might be given the ... different demographics of this website. Here's a few things I've been thinking of when trying to consider how Avatar 2 will perform:

1. It's James Cameron. Every.... single .... time .... that people have bet against him, they have lost. Heck, I still remember seeing a trailer for Titanic in the movie theater and saying (mockingly) to the friend I was with, "Wonder how that's going to end?" So, yeah- at some point he will be wrong. But are you comfortable saying this will be the time?

2. A lot of people mock the original Avatar. Boring. Bad plot. "Unobtainium." But you know what? It's the highest-grossing movie of all time. Second highest, adjusted for inflation. More than Star Wars (the original). More than Avengers End Game. More E.T. More than the Sound of Music (#6!). Pick your great movie, and then stick it in a pipe and smoke it because Avatar beat it .... by a lot.

3. It even has a pretty popular theme park area- in Animal Kingdom (part of Disney World), the most popular area, by far, is the Avatar land. Which means that a lot of kids have been exposed to it.

4. I've heard local high school kids talk about seeing it- it's a thing for them. Is it a "minions" level thing. Dunno. But it's on the radar.

5. Something most people aren't familiar with is the changed China policy - a lot of people assume that movies are catering to China, which is partly true, but China has largely closed their theaters to many American blockbusters over the last few years. This movie is going to get a full theatrical release in China ... and, combined with the very recent easing of COVID protocols due to the protests, could result in a decent bump in worldwide gross.

6. This kinda sorta needs to be a hit. To be clear- there's over ONE BEELLEEON dollars invested in the future of these movies, and there are more in the pipeline.

So I'm seeing all this. On the other hand ... I also get the sense that a lot of people just aren't feeling it. I generally have a decent feel for how movies will do, but my spidey sense has always been off with Cameron.

Yes, I'm going. I liked the first one and I watched it when it came out.
This is the first movie I will be watching on big screen since 2019.
I do not care for anything Disney puts out these days.

Last edited:

I've been getting the general impression that it's pretty cool to hate on Avatar if you're a "real" nerd. Which sorta makes me want to watch it more. I feel no shame in enjoying an extremely accessible sci-fi movie with simple plot and entertaining visuals. I'll probably enjoy it more that half of the shovelware superhero movies that have been pushed out in the last decade.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Cameron is a frustrating filmmaker for me: I respect that he pushes the envelope, I admire his vision, he has some great character and story skills, but too-often he's really ham-fisted. I wind up really liking some things about his movies, but there's enough in them that I'm now actively disinterested in spending the time to watch his stuff.

I'm sure it will be very, very pretty, which makes me almost want to spend the hour to get to the nearest IMAX, spend the money for IMAX tickets, spend the 3 hours I'll be sitting in that theater, and spend the hour to come back home.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I didnt see the original in the theater, I saw it on stream. I didnt think much of it. I was told it was because I didnt see it in 3D. So, I suppose if had the chance I could see the sequel in the theater for the best experience of it. Though, its been so many years I'm just over it.
Granted, some movies have more "spectacle" than others, but a film should hold up on whatever screen you watch it on. If it doesn't, then it has problems. Obviously YMMV.

I had the same experience, and feel the same way. I'm sure seeing it in 3-D on the big screen was jaw-dropping, and that's super-cool, but i got pretty bored watching it on tv and have no interest in ever watching it again. In general, Cameron's movies have this effect on me: I get caught up in the whiz-bang, but upon any exploration/criticism I'm left feeling uncomfortable or just bored with some of his sensibilities and choices.
As someone who consumes tons of pop culture, who loves science fiction, and has sufficient disposable income, I find myself stunned at how uninteresting this movie looks.

The message seems ham-fisted, and spelled out in the trailer.
I feel the same way.

aco175

Legend
Seems like Cameron spends movie minutes to develop characters. Like a good story or book (or D&D game) characters/NPCs matter. It's a good hook to become invested in the people. Hopefully the new D&D movie gets this and it does well.

Remove ads