Avatar 2: Way of Water ... the PRE-POLL (Are you interested?)

Will you be seeing the new Avatar movie (Way of Water) in the Theaters?

• 1. YES!

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • 2. NO!

Votes: 45 73.8%
  • 3. I would be a yes, but I don't go to theaters since the Pandemic.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • 4. I am boycotting this movie because I love Papyrus.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .
Granted, some movies have more "spectacle" than others, but a film should hold up on whatever screen you watch it on. If it doesn't, then it has problems. Obviously YMMV.

While I want to agree with this statement, I find that it doesn't end up holding true in real life. You absolutely need certain technology to experience certain movies. It doesn't mean it's a problem with the movie.

Can you imagine how disappointing it would be to watch The Wizard of Oz on a black and white TV versus the spectacle of that movie in full color? I had the pleasure of seeing it in the theatre as a kid, and I can tell you the black-and-white-to-color switch is so much more dramatic and meaningful on the big screen than it ever was watching at home on VHS. But I would never count that as a problem with Wizard of Oz.

I could continue with a discussion of aspect ratios (the Kubrick section on that is particularly intricate). Or modern movies that require high quality HD so you don't miss important plot points. Or audio limitations due to number of channels and quality. For real fun, we could get into theatre gimmicks like The Tingler.

But going back to the original topic, do you really need to have full 3D to appreciate Avatar? I don't know; I think a high quality HD screen with bright colors may be sufficient. But even if 3D is considered a requirement, I can't call it a fault. Technological requirements are ingrained into the medium of film.

Last edited:

1. It's James Cameron. Every.... single .... time .... that people have bet against him, they have lost. Heck, I still remember seeing a trailer for Titanic in the movie theater and saying (mockingly) to the friend I was with, "Wonder how that's going to end?" So, yeah- at some point he will be wrong. But are you comfortable saying this will be the time?

Maybe, maybe not but it's not the question that was asked. When considering whether to go to see a movie, I seldom take into account its popularity. I HATE superheroes stories ans the gross of MCU films doesn't change it. A billion flies can't be wrong?

You might have gotten different results if you had asked whether the film, powered by a huge ad campaign and marketed not as a film but as a 3D technological prowess, will perform.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
While I want to agree with this statement, I find that it doesn't end up holding true in real life. You absolutely need certain technology to experience certain movies. It doesn't mean it's a problem with the movie.

Can you imagine how disappointing it would be to watch The Wizard of Oz on a black and white TV versus the spectacle of that movie in full color? I had the pleasure of seeing it in the theatre as a kid, and I can tell you the black-and-white-to-color switch is so much more dramatic and meaningful on the big screen than it ever was watching at home on VHS. But I would never count that as a problem with Wizard of Oz.
I don't have to imagine - or perhaps quite the opposite: my imagination more than filled the gap. I grew up when you could only watch The Wizard of Oz once a year when it was broadcast, and we only had a b&w tv - but I was still thoroughly enthralled, enchanted, scared, etc. by it. Would I have been moreso if we had a color tv? Maybe? But I was a kid, and kids buy into stuff really easily, but regardless - people experience things differently.

Can a color-blind person not appreciate that movie to its fullest? I don't know, and I wouldn't want to try to figure it out.

EDIT: As a kid, if we had a color tv I probably would have just been more confused than anything, about why this movie was in b&w and then switched to color. Now if you grew up when all movies were in b&w and then paid your nickel to go see The Wizard of Oz? That would have really been something!

I grew up on b&w movies, because so many reruns and old movies on tv were in b&w, so lacking color was not a barrier to enjoyment.

Last edited:

Vael

Legend
I voted no, but both options were too emphatic for me, I might see it, might not. It's certainly ... worthy of the immersion of a theatre visit. But while the first movie was a fun theatre view, I was hardly interested in a sequel. Especially since the trailer seems to be beating the same plot beats as the first one.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So, re-visiting this thread in light of the cold, hard, facts of JAMES CAMERON IS KING OF THE WORLD!

Apparently, the prognostication abilities of EnWorld are .... not great, Bob. For all the people who mocked Papyrus 2: Now With Water, we can see the actual results.

Best Third Weekend Ever ($63.4 million).
$1.45 billion worldwide (as of Jan. 2) and still raking it in.
No. 1 at the Box Office every day since December 16.
Will end up as the #1 movie of 2022.
About to be in the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time.
Big question is if it can be the first movie since Endgame to surpass $2 billion.

I had my doubts. But the only certainties in life are death, taxes, and people going to see a James Cameron movie.

Vael

Legend
At what point does a movie do so well that seeing it turns from a personal choice to a civic obligation?
Well, admittedly, I'm not going because of the numbers. If nothing else that's a bit of a dissuasion as the theatres are a little too packed for my comfort. But enough friends and people I follow have given positive reviews that I'm thinking it might be worth it.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Well I still haven't seen the first Avatar movie, so...quite a while, I imagine.

I think that for some people, it eventually becomes a stubborn point of pride (for me, that movie is Titanic).

But for a lot of these movies, there eventually is the "event" effect where it just snowballs. Everyone is seeing it, everyone is talking about it, and at a certain point, you just kind of shrug your shoulders and succumb to the cosmic inevitability of it all, if only so that you'll know what everyone else is talking about.

Remove ads