• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Awaken and bonus feats interaction

Verequus

First Post
I've been applying Awaken on a wolf and noticed that Track is listed as a bonus feat, As Awaken gives two additional HD, an awakened wolf has 4 HD, thus qualifying for another feat. The question is: Can I give the wolf a third feat or becomes the Track feat a regular feat?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
There's nothing to say that the wolf's bonus feat must be legally purchased as soon as it has enough Hit Dice to do so. My understanding is that a bonus feat remains a bonus feat unless something specifically says it's one no longer.

Verequus

First Post
Thanks for your reply! I have indeed not seen such a rule, so until someone can point it out I will give the wolf its third feat.

Verequus

First Post
Do you also know if changing the type to Magical Beast (Augmented Animal) results in swapping of low-light vision with darkvision 60 ft.? "A creature with the augmented subtype usually has the traits of its current type, but the features of its original type." seems to imply it.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Do you also know if changing the type to Magical Beast (Augmented Animal) results in swapping of low-light vision with darkvision 60 ft.? "A creature with the augmented subtype usually has the traits of its current type, but the features of its original type." seems to imply it.

It still retains low-light vision either way, since both the Animal and Magical Beast types have that trait. However, I'm not sure in regards to darkvision. Since darkvision is listed under the "Traits" header for the magical beast type, and the Augmented subtype says that creatures "usually has the traits of its current type," my guess would be that they also gain darkvision.

Remove ads