Baba Yaga d20 conversion?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Assuming CR 25 and Neutral, is this one done?

Should I include the Hut in Baba Yaga's entry when I put it in the CC, or give it a separate entry?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think CR 25 and neutral are probably ok. You're the expert! ;)

Have we done anything like this in the past in terms of affiliated monsters? I'm not sure which would make things easier to find.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Have we done anything like this in the past in terms of affiliated monsters? I'm not sure which would make things easier to find.

Hmmm...it looks like the master and hounds of the Wild Hunt are separate files, yet vegepygmy and thorny were combined.

I'm thinking that due to the sheer size of both entries, it might be worthwhile to split them so the DM can more easily print them out on seperate sheets.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Hey guys, I'm necro'ing this thread because I'm prepping a converted version of the Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga for my 3.5e game.

I wanted to use this conversion of Baba Yaga and her hut, but I've noticed something that I wanted to run by you guys.

The adventure is written to allow 7th level PCs to start exploring the first level of rooms in the hut. I don't exactly know what the conversion rate is between AD&D and 3e, but I'm converting it to begin using for 10th level PCs. I'm also not going to run the entire adventure straight through to the end. Just enough for the current party level to explore, then maybe as they reach higher levels I would entice them to explore it further.

The concern I have is with the conversion stats to the hut when it is assumed a lower level party can still explore the first few rooms. In the module, the PCs are expected to either fight the hut's legs to gain entry into the hut or sneak through by spying on Baba Yaga. The problem is, the hut has a CR of 25. That's ok since the PCs aren't expected to destroy the hut, just defeat the legs long enough to gain access inside the hut (the legs don't even need to be destroyed, just reduced to 0 HP & get inside before Fast Healing restores the legs to consciousness).

Do you think this is something that you would care to address in your conversion? I decided to give the "body" of the hut the DR - 15 adamantine/epic, Immunity to Magic, acid, cold, electricity, fire, & water, & reflective exterior quality. But I gave the legs DR 15/magic. Then I gave both the body & the legs the construct traits & immunity to divinations.

I by no means am skilled at conversions or monster creation. I was just trying to figure out a way that the PCs could defeat the legs long enough to gain access inside the hut so they could begin the adventuring. I'm not even sure if the legs attacks & special attacks need to be adjusted or if it should still be that difficult.

I just wanted to see what you guys might suggest.

Shade

Monster Junkie
When doing conversion, I generally try to convert the monster as if it were going into a Monster Manual, rather than as an update of the module. As a result, the power levels are often inflated (and occasionally deflated). I'm not sure if that is the best approach, but it is the one I prefer.

I definitely think you did the right thing for the adventure in question. It also isn't uncommon (especially in old-school modules), for "lesser" or "weakened" version of more powerful creatures to appear. I seem to recall various power levels of Lolth in some adventures, for example. As long as the "true version" isn't permanently killed/destroyed, I see no problem there.

Oryan77

Adventurer
When doing conversion, I generally try to convert the monster as if it were going into a Monster Manual, rather than as an update of the module.

Gotcha, that's understandable. One more question, based on my above proposal of singling out the legs only as the encounter (changing the immunities and DR that I mentioned),what CR would you say an encounter with the legs would be? They may still target the hut at first until the realize the legs are weaker. And there are two legs to defeat. So I'm just wondering what the CR might be when awarding XP for overcoming the challenge of just the legs.

Remove ads