• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Babies

The center of the Circle is the safest place for things that people are looking for - things that people *know* exist and are actively trying to find... I do not believe this is going to be the case with your child - she's a secret...

I just wonder how Archonus is going to handle the fact that he cannot hide in plain sight with a child strapped to his back, ya know? How is he going to sneak never knowing if the child is going to cry or burp or spit up? There are times when the group seems stretched thin, anyway... now we have another base to cover, another thing to protect...

Every time Kennon knocks down a means of providing for the child, my thought that we should not be brining it with us grows stronger because the game is going to be different for *everyone* if the child is with us... and I don't know if all of us are ready for that. In many ways, I don't think I am.

Archon

First Post
well, for Actual missions, depending on their length, Archonus would feel ok leaving her with a sitter while they venture forth to do good or whatnot. But for the majority of the time Archon's baby will be in his hands or Xath's.
Now, if for some reason the baby is with us and Archonus needs to sneak he feels confident in handing his child over to a circle mate while he pulls reconnisence(i think i just butchered that word).

Which, I think, highlights one of the many ways the game is going to become a new and different thing... no longer can we act as the Circle - we act as the Circle plus one small, tiny baby that is totally unable to fend for itself in any way, shape, or form.

We'll never be abe to roll initiative again without determining who holds the responsibility of protecting the child, holding the child, or getting the child out of harms way... the child will be a constant question that - especially for quick-to-act Archonus - will always have to be answered before acting.

Archon

First Post
the child's safety will be Archon's if for some reason we are caught with the child during a fight, maybe we can contingency a teleport to the child or something. but as of now, any planned battles Archonus will try to avoid taking her into. But if we get jumped in the middle of the night (again), Archon's first thought will be the child's safety.

I think that the child's safety if we are jumped in the night is obvious - she is your child, afterall.

However, initially, you held to the "she will stay with me at all times" theory which I think will drastically change the way we adventure and the way the game is played...

Archon

First Post
it doesn't have to. it's only a major inconvienence if you let it be. As long as we stick to short planned missions the child can stay safe somewhere else with a Contingency to be teleported to me if anything happens. And if we go with another Marching campaign she will stay with us and when we have to do battle i will send her to Sylvanus for the duration of said battle.

Xath

Moder-gator
I don't have time to answer this right now in any detail, but the reason is basically that the psychological development of newborn infants DEPENDS on the act of nursing, albeit for only a relatively short while.

That's entirely not true. Bottle fed babies are not psychologically effect by not nursing. If you want to just say as a rule that the ring gates won't work, say that and that will end it. But I'm not swayed by your reasoning.

After that point, things can become much easier on that front - but I'm telling you that there are simpler solutions than the ones you're trying to create. A nursemaid is the SIMPLEST option, and though that nursemaid might die, there has to be a point at which you judge the life of a child *more important* than the life of someone else. If Jenny the peasant mom dies to defend the life of the secret princess Arendorr, you'll make sure her child is cared for (or maybe she already lost it) but you can't imagine that the sacrifice wasn't (or wouldn't have been) worth it.

But why endanger someone's life when it's not necessary. Not only does taking a peasant along with us endanger the peasant, it endangers us. An adventuring party is only as strong as its weakest link. Looking after a nursemaid endangers the circle even if we bring in another warrior for that purpose. An infant can easily obtain full cover if you hold her in a shield arm. A nursemaid is much more difficult to protect.

Plus, YOU keep saying that it's important for a child to have the same milk for the first few weeks of life. What happens if Jenny the nursemaid dies in week one? Then we're up the creek without a paddle. If she stays in Hyrwl and nurses through the ring gate, then she's one less thing we have to worry about.

This child is the last hope if the current line is corrupted - a HUGE burden will be placed on her shoulders from a very young age. Turning to magical maintenance of the child is not the best way to do make sure she's ready for that kind of burden.

What's wrong with using magical maintenance in a world that relies on magic? When we discussed the Transfer Pregnancy spells, you said that it would be a standard for nobles to never have to give birth. And children of nobles are essentially handed off to servants for care and upbringing. I would think that bring a child up with her parents would be less damaging even if you feed her through aid of magic. How is her nursing milk going to determine how prepared she is for burden? It's her upbringing that will determine that. Even if she's nursed through artificial means, it doesn't mean she won't be loved and cared for.

LASTLY, take it as a DM hint, using a boobie-gate is not a good idea. There are a uncountable ways that the cruel universe could turn that against you, and the child.

I've thought of and accounted for several of these. Fortunately, the circle already has active means to counteract them.

1) Someone could come in disguised as the nurse. Well we have a circlemember with a gem of trueseeing. It'd be easy enough to inspect the nursemaid before each feeding.

One of the benefits I see in this is that if the nursemaid turns out to be evil, feeding through the ring gate, one of the circle members will always be holding the child. If a nursemaid traveling with us was holding the baby, she'd have an advantage if she tried to do anything to her.

2) The nursemaid could poison the teet. Well she could do this anyway, even if she were traveling with us. Detect Poison and Status aren't that difficult to cast.

The_Universe

First Post
Archon said:
it doesn't have to. it's only a major inconvienence if you let it be. As long as we stick to short planned missions the child can stay safe somewhere else with a Contingency to be teleported to me if anything happens. And if we go with another Marching campaign she will stay with us and when we have to do battle i will send her to Sylvanus for the duration of said battle.
The kid will be a big deal - how you choose to care for it will affect how big.

You don't have to take it with you, everywhere - it's just exchanging one kind of risk for another. It's just not a good idea to keep it in Hyrwl.

Xath

Moder-gator
Allright; we've established that the baby can't stay in Hyrwl because it's not safe. So we're setting something up in Sylvannus. The baby won't come with us on short circle missions or battles. But Archonus will be able to be with her most of the time. So...onto setting up Sylvannus. We'll need to re-setup Arendorr manor to be fully functional, and as Kennon said, we'll need servants and guards. What else will we need to keep this baby safe?

Archon

First Post
a "no teleport zone" like the one in Hyrwl. Not too big so we couldn't teleport to her if we needed to, but big enough so that we could set up a large armed guard around the perimeter.

Remove ads