Babylon 5... reboot?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Then why a reboot? If its a different story then make it a different story.

You realize that JMS is not the only person involved in the choice of what TV shows get made, yes?

If the studio/network offers him the job of making a B5 reboot, but not other content... well, then he takes the B5 reboot.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Vorlons used planet-killers on inhabited worlds. They were on the cusp of annihilating Centauri Prime, with three billion inhabitants, before being called away to help their other fleet that had run into trouble annihilating a world with six billion inhabitants.

They were absolutely bad.

The Vorlons used planet-killers on inhabited worlds that housed Shadow forces.

In our world, when be bomb an enemy, we spend exactly zero thought on the impact on the local wildlife.

Ryujin

Legend

In our world, when be bomb an enemy, we spend exactly zero thought on the impact on the local wildlife.
And in our world even prescision munitions cause collateral damage. I can just hear a Vorlon media advisor saying, "...though we avoided damage to the neighbouring planets."

How did replacing actors change the show? While needing to replace Michael O'Hare was a big deal, I'm not sure that any other replacements "changed the timeline" much, as it were.

There was Sinclair / Sheridan, Lyta / Talia (?) - the telepaths, G'Kar's assistant. Any others?

Dausuul

Legend

Quite true. The Vorlons were a technologically superior culture committing genocide against less-advanced cultures, who regarded their victims as mere animals who got in the way*.

I'm not clear how this contradicts my assertion that the Vorlons were bad.

*Except they didn't, really. The whole point of the Vorlon-Shadow storyline was that they were the self-appointed stewards of the younger races, who had run amok and were trying to purge each other's influence over those younger races. So clearly they knew on some level that their victims were more than animals.

Zardnaar

Legend
I've been playing Stellaris. You have fallen empires that "wake up". Their tech is yards ahead of the players for 100-150 years.

They have colossus (planet killers) and two of them can trigger a war in heaven.

If you win you get the "get out of my galaxy" line from B5. The fallen empires are essentially the Vorlons/shadow.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not clear how this contradicts my assertion that the Vorlons were bad.

Bad for the survival of those younger species around them? Sure. But, if we are given the existence of creatures like the Vorlons, we should also take as a possibility that there's perspectives of morality rather beyond our own, too.

So clearly they knew on some level that their victims were more than animals.

Not necessarily. The younger races could have been "animals with potential" to them.

Technically, their struggle was really over programs of development. The Vorlons and the Shadows were farmers. We were the livestock...

Zardnaar

Legend
Bad for the survival of those younger species around them? Sure. But, if we are given the existence of creatures like the Vorlons, we should also take as a possibility that there's perspectives of morality rather beyond our own, too.

Not necessarily. The younger races could have been "animals with potential" to them.

Technically, their struggle was really over programs of development. The Vorlons and the Shadows were farmers. We were the livestock...

With how we treat animals/each other probably shouldn't get to moralistic if a sufficiently advanced races sees us as the animals.

Dausuul

Legend
I really did not think "genocide is bad" would be a controversial point.

At this point I'm just gonna refer y'all to Sheridan and Delenn in "Into the Fire" and endorse every word they said to the Vorlons and the Shadows.

With how we treat animals/each other probably shouldn't get to moralistic if a sufficiently advanced races sees us as the animals.
Human beings have done plenty of awful things. There are many ways we have behaved, and often still do behave, like Vorlons and Shadows on our more limited scale; after all, one of the functions of science fiction is to hold up a mirror. None of us can claim total innocence.

But that doesn't mean we have to just shrug and say, "Eh, that's how it goes, let's not bicker and argue about who exterminated who."

Remove ads