• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BADD- evaluate my dragon DM'ing? (KotSQ, Glacier Season module SPOILERS)

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
That means your average lich... just like how your average goblin is evil, but you could create a good one and roleplay him.

Dr Midnight:

If that was the case, the alignment descriptor would say "usually evil", meaning there is a tendency in that race towards said alignment. The Liches descriptor is like a Demons or Devils... which says "always Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic Evil", meaning they are _never_ good, unless a DM houserules that particular detail, at least from my understanding.

This also makes sense considering what a Lich is and their history throughout the D&D universe. They are not made up of Evil, Neutral and Good mages/clerics, they are made up of mages/clerics so obsessed with "living" beyond their natural lifespan they are willing to sacrifice their mortality and become an evil Undead being. I assume Good and Neutral mages/clerics would not be willing to take this path. Still, it is your game, and your call. That's just my perception of the matter.

drnuncheon:

Excuse me? When did I "trash" the player? All I did was ask why a Lich (which, from my understanding, is always evil) was traveling with an adventuring party. I thought the Dragon might be interested in why a Lich would be traveling with an adventuring party, and so was curious myself as to why said Lich was doing so. At no point did I insult or "trash" anyone. Please don't take offense where none was meant.

Jezrael

First Post
MasterOfHeaven said:

This also makes sense considering what a Lich is and their history throughout the D&D universe.

See Monsters of Faerun entry: Lich, Good

Good aligned liches (Archliches) have been part of Forgotten Realms for a while now and had a small blurb in the 2E Monstrous Manual. In addition you have good and neutral aligned Baelnorns: elf liches who protect the community and pass on all their accumulated knowledge and experience to the Elven peoples.

Not all liches of the D&D universe are evil.

Second point: They are having fun...who gives a flying flip what some alignment entry in a book says? Rule number one: The DM makes the rules. You bought the game...change it how you want.

Have fun is the bottom line. :D

Last edited:

gordonknox

First Post
A few ideas...no mercy, all must dos.

Try these on for size…must do, no excuses!

1. Scry and destroy something near and dear to the PCs, e.g. a hideout, castle, family property, etc.

2. Destroy the nearest small village; hoping that pressure will be applied by a larger town/city that overlooks the smaller village will step in.

3. Minions? The dragon must have powerful followers, friends, and demons. Keep them handy.

4. Kidnap an important figure in the campaign and have the PCs attempt capture he or she from the dragon. (The king, king’s daughter/son, a PC spouse, religious leader, etc) If possible, put an illusion of the dragon or something else (maybe a minion) on this "important campaign figure." Trick the PCs bash and kill it to pieces, then let them find out the awful truth.

5. Attack and kill the PCs soon after. Send body parts to the nearest villages/kingdoms as warnings to future trespassers.

6. Finally, for the rest of the campaign story, have the dragon or his minions (after defeating the party) commit terrible atrocities to the local villages/kingdoms. Find a creative way to link the evil deeds directly to the party of so-called heroes.

gk

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Jezrael said:

See Monsters of Faerun entry: Lich, Good

Good aligned liches (Archliches) have been part of Forgotten Realms for a while now and had a small blurb in the 2E Monstrous Manual. In addition you have good and neutral aligned Baelnorns: elf liches who pretect the community and pass on all their accumulated knowledge and experience to the Elven peoples.

Not all liches of the D&D universe are evil.

Second point: They are having fun...who gives a flying flip what some alignment entry in a book says? Rule number one: The DM makes the rules.

Sigh. Look, again, I was just curious why the Lich was traveling with the party (since again, from my understanding, they are always evil) and pointed out that, by the rules _as I understand them_, the Lich is always evil. At no point did I claim the Lich should be thrown out of the party or eradicated. Again, do not take offense where none is meant.

Jezrael

First Post
MasterOfHeaven said:

Sigh. Look, again, I was just curious why the Lich was traveling with the party (since again, from my understanding, they are always evil) and pointed out that, by the rules _as I understand them_, the Lich is always evil. At no point did I claim the Lich should be thrown out of the party or eradicated. Again, do not take offense where none is meant.

Sigh yourself friend. :D

I took no offense whatsoever at what you said, just wanted to point out that not all liches are evil throughout the "D&D universe"; and that even if the book(s) says they are, it's really the DM's call. No umbrage taken and none meant...I just really like saying flying flip. :D

Last edited:

Numion

First Post
Doesn't the dragon have a wizard companion? IIRC it was Helios, who's a 14th level caster. And where are the Ice Golems? Those were nothing to laugh at, CR 13 creatures. And wasn't the dragons lairing cave so big that it could've flown around the PCs if he couldn't bull rush them?

Did you remember to use the snatch ability? The dragon can grab one creature in it's mouth and act normally if it takes a -20 to the grapple check. While chewing the one unfortunate character in its mouth.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Further, in its 1,200+ years, it must have met some very powerful (still-living) people. Why not have them cast Discern Location on the lich's phlyactery, then have the dragon teleport/plane shift to its location, then eat, dispel, or cast Mordenkainen's Disjunction on it? THAT would teach the lich a lesson.

Heh heh heh. I like this. After all, it's only fair. The Lich character gets a lot of advantages, and from the looks of your average party member level (11), no disadvantages in terms of ECL (otherwise, he would be considered a 14th or 15th level character, can't remember which).

Imagine the look on the player's face when the dragon whips out the phylactery and holds it between two of its massive talons. Gesturing with the other claw towards the lich's companions, the dragon whispers menacingly, "Wipe them out. All of them." ;)

Heh heh. :D

Last edited:

Jezrael

First Post
Wolfspider said:

Imagine the look on the player's face when the dragon whips out the phylactery and holds it between two of its massive talons. Gesturing with the other claw towards the lich's companions, the dragon whispers menacingly, "Wipe them out. All of them." ;)

:eek: Ooh!! Ooh!! Do that, I can just imagine the looks on the player's faces when that happens. Teach 'em not to mess with a Great Wyrm! :D

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Wolfspider said:

Heh heh heh. I like this. After all, it's only fair. The Lich character gets a lot of advantages, and from the looks of your average party member level (11), no disadvantages in terms of ECL (otherwise, he would be considered a 14th or 15th level character, can't remember which).

Now that's wicked. I love it.

Last edited:

Remove ads