Bags of Holding, how much can they hold?

rkarnes

First Post
BagsofHolding.png

I just cranked this one out. My group all have handy haversacks, so I made this image to illustrate that the haversacks are not an excuse to ignore the encumbrance rules (although, the encumbrance rules themselves are reason enough to ignore them; blech!). In any event, I just thought you guys would like to take a look.

Any thoughts? I am not sure I'm calculating the sides of the cubes correctly.

Last edited:

paradox42

First Post
Good idea for an illustration. However, in my PF Core book, a Handy Haversack's central portion can hold 8 cubic feet, and each side pouch can hold 2 cubic feet. Cube root of 2 is about 1.25 feet, so those side pouches should be 1.25 feet on a side. And the cube root of 8 is 2, so the central one should be 2 feet on a side. Your diagrammed amounts are much smaller than these.

For regular Bags of Holding, I get the following- taking cube roots of each of the listed amounts in my PF Core:

Type I- 3.107 feet/side (30 cubic feet)
Type II- 4.121 feet/side (70 cubic feet)
Type III- 5.313 feet/side (150 cubic feet)
Type IV- 6.3 feet/side (really, 6.2996, but call that 6.3 for rounding error) (250 cubic feet)

A Portable Hole, of course, specifies how large it is on the inside, so that one's easy. Comes out to about 282 cubic feet in volume if we assume a perfect cylinder (3-foot radius, use pi-R-squared, multiply result by 10).

rkarnes

First Post
Good idea for an illustration. However, in my PF Core book, a Handy Haversack's central portion can hold 8 cubic feet, and each side pouch can hold 2 cubic feet. Cube root of 2 is about 1.25 feet, so those side pouches should be 1.25 feet on a side. And the cube root of 8 is 2, so the central one should be 2 feet on a side. Your diagrammed amounts are much smaller than these.

For regular Bags of Holding, I get the following- taking cube roots of each of the listed amounts in my PF Core:

Type I- 3.107 feet/side (30 cubic feet)
Type II- 4.121 feet/side (70 cubic feet)
Type III- 5.313 feet/side (150 cubic feet)
Type IV- 6.3 feet/side (really, 6.2996, but call that 6.3 for rounding error) (250 cubic feet)

A Portable Hole, of course, specifies how large it is on the inside, so that one's easy. Comes out to about 282 cubic feet in volume if we assume a perfect cylinder (3-foot radius, use pi-R-squared, multiply result by 10).

Thank you for this! I will redo this illustration with your figures. It's a little embarrassing, but I did not know how to convert the cubic feet to the length of a side. That's what you get with a liberals arts degree.

I will also add the portable hole.

paradox42

First Post
Thank you for this! I will redo this illustration with your figures. It's a little embarrassing, but I did not know how to convert the cubic feet to the length of a side. That's what you get with a liberals arts degree.

I will also add the portable hole.
Please repost here when you have it; I think you'll get a lot of downloads! :)

Remove ads