• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bags of Holding, how much can they hold?

rkarnes

First Post
BagsofHolding.png

I just cranked this one out. My group all have handy haversacks, so I made this image to illustrate that the haversacks are not an excuse to ignore the encumbrance rules (although, the encumbrance rules themselves are reason enough to ignore them; blech!). In any event, I just thought you guys would like to take a look.

Any thoughts? I am not sure I'm calculating the sides of the cubes correctly.

Last edited:

paradox42

First Post
Good idea for an illustration. However, in my PF Core book, a Handy Haversack's central portion can hold 8 cubic feet, and each side pouch can hold 2 cubic feet. Cube root of 2 is about 1.25 feet, so those side pouches should be 1.25 feet on a side. And the cube root of 8 is 2, so the central one should be 2 feet on a side. Your diagrammed amounts are much smaller than these.

For regular Bags of Holding, I get the following- taking cube roots of each of the listed amounts in my PF Core:

Type I- 3.107 feet/side (30 cubic feet)
Type II- 4.121 feet/side (70 cubic feet)
Type III- 5.313 feet/side (150 cubic feet)
Type IV- 6.3 feet/side (really, 6.2996, but call that 6.3 for rounding error) (250 cubic feet)

A Portable Hole, of course, specifies how large it is on the inside, so that one's easy. Comes out to about 282 cubic feet in volume if we assume a perfect cylinder (3-foot radius, use pi-R-squared, multiply result by 10).

rkarnes

First Post
Good idea for an illustration. However, in my PF Core book, a Handy Haversack's central portion can hold 8 cubic feet, and each side pouch can hold 2 cubic feet. Cube root of 2 is about 1.25 feet, so those side pouches should be 1.25 feet on a side. And the cube root of 8 is 2, so the central one should be 2 feet on a side. Your diagrammed amounts are much smaller than these.

For regular Bags of Holding, I get the following- taking cube roots of each of the listed amounts in my PF Core:

Type I- 3.107 feet/side (30 cubic feet)
Type II- 4.121 feet/side (70 cubic feet)
Type III- 5.313 feet/side (150 cubic feet)
Type IV- 6.3 feet/side (really, 6.2996, but call that 6.3 for rounding error) (250 cubic feet)

A Portable Hole, of course, specifies how large it is on the inside, so that one's easy. Comes out to about 282 cubic feet in volume if we assume a perfect cylinder (3-foot radius, use pi-R-squared, multiply result by 10).

Thank you for this! I will redo this illustration with your figures. It's a little embarrassing, but I did not know how to convert the cubic feet to the length of a side. That's what you get with a liberals arts degree.

I will also add the portable hole.

paradox42

First Post
Thank you for this! I will redo this illustration with your figures. It's a little embarrassing, but I did not know how to convert the cubic feet to the length of a side. That's what you get with a liberals arts degree.

I will also add the portable hole.
Please repost here when you have it; I think you'll get a lot of downloads! :)

Remove ads