• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Baker blog paladin and dragonborn

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well I think it makes sense for Dragonborn given their connection to Dragons to share one of the promiment features of a Dragon, a breath weapon.

I wonder if we could maybe see, things like... Various Dragonborn racial feats that also fit with Dragons, like if you have the prerequisite of Lightning, you can gain 5 resistance to electricity feat.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
For those concerned about the paladin's marking power, it's gone through a few changes...

man, I really want to know the fix for this. This is one of those powers that just made no sense to me 'in character.' I have the power to hurt this guy, but only if he's not fighting me? Weird. It's a pure metagame creation. I like what it does...forces an enemy to fight the paladin, but the execution just doesn't make sense in context.

I'm not normally one to argue for believability, but hopefully the fix for this does offer a little more verisimilitude in its flavor and execution.

MaelStorm

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
My thought was the opposite - I want lizardmen, not magical lizardmen :(

Ah well, I can change stuff I don't like (and don't get me wrong - I'm pretty pro-4e in general!)

Cheers
Yeah, well I'm in the minority who likes the addition of the Dragonborn and Tiefling race in the PHB I instead of Half-Orcs and Gnome remaining.

But, as you said, you can always change stuff you don't like.

DonAdam

Explorer
I'm happy to have Tieflings be core, but every time I see the Dragonborn I want to hit them on the head and scream "Not the mama!"

dinosaurs_group.jpg

Reaper Steve

Explorer
MaelStorm said:
Yeah, well I'm in the minority who likes the addition of the Dragonborn and Tiefling race in the PHB I instead of Half-Orcs and Gnome remaining.

I'm with you! While I will definitely run D&D straight out of the books, I am also considering a campaign that bans the Tolkien races. It's still D&D, straight out of the books, but just using humans, dragonborn, and tieflings. I also think it would be easy to use half-elf and eladrin mechanics with different names and looks.

Hmm...

Reaper Steve said:
I'm with you! While I will definitely run D&D straight out of the books, I am also considering a campaign that bans the Tolkien races. It's still D&D, straight out of the books, but just using humans, dragonborn, and tieflings. I also think it would be easy to use half-elf and eladrin mechanics with different names and looks.

Hmm...

I think this would be a great first step toward creating a Howard-esque D&D setting. Reptile-men and devil-men definitely fit into a Hyperborea analogue better than elves and dwarves. :)

Plane Sailing said:
My thought was the opposite - I want lizardmen, not magical lizardmen :(

Ah well, I can change stuff I don't like (and don't get me wrong - I'm pretty pro-4e in general!)

Cheers

You wouldn't even have to remove their breath weapon. Just make it something organic, like poison, rather than lightning or the like. :)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I actually plan on creating a somewhat Earth-like setting one day. Where it is just Tieflings, Humans and Dragonborn.

The Humans are the majority race, but they do not hold power, they are commonly merchants, farmers, accountants, etc.

The Tieflings rule over their vast Roman Empire. They live a debauchores lifestyle with little what we would consider ethics. Many Dragonborn are enslaved by the Tieflings for their armies and for servants.

Dragonborn rule over the smaller Egyptian empire, while they do not take Tiefling slaves they are extremely hostile towards them.

War is almost inevitable between the two empires.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
MaelStorm said:

If that is a minority, then I'm in it too - I much prefer the Dragonborn and Tiefling to the half-orc and gnome.

I suppose a lot depends upon when breath weapons appear - if they are paragon style stuff that appears as a higher end 'racial perfection' kind of thing, then its not such an issue for me. If it is there at 1st level then it is. Just the same as my feelings about Eladrin fey step.

Cheers

Stalker0

Legend
Reaper Steve said:
man, I really want to know the fix for this.

Amen. I mean, I recognize that the designers need to keep a lot of the info underwraps until release, and I respect that. But guys come on. You've given us the paladin power, we have tons of groups playing 4e adventures with these pregen characters, and the book is in print.

Can we please have the paladin's mark errata? So we can play the pregens "correctly"

Remove ads